Performs specialized public safety work at municipal swimming facilities in prevention of aquatic emergencies. Is responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions, enforcing established rules and regulations, and rescuing those who are in distress. Maintains the quality of swimming pool water and appearance of pool facilities or beach area as required. Instructions and preliminary training are provided by a supervisor, after which the employee is expected to fulfill daily duty assignments and follow the established procedures, rules, and regulations with minimum assistance.
- Monitors the activities of swimmers in and around the municipal beach or swimming pool.
- Enforces all pool and beach rules and regulations and water safety policies and practices.
- Responds to any and all emergency situations; rescues swimmers in distress utilizing appropriate rescue techniques; administers first aid and/or CPR, Auto External Defibrillator, and oxygen administration following appropriate medical protocol; calls for emergency assistance when necessary.
- Informs beach patrons of unsafe or hazardous swimming conditions.
- Maintains inventory of first aid and stand supplies.
- Assists in maintaining general appearance and cleanliness in assigned area, including maintaining restrooms and garbage waste.
- Performs cashier services.
- Prepares written reports on accidents, incidents, first aid, etc.; completes other reports or records as required.
- May officiate at swimming meets and contests.
- Performs basic administrative duties including written reports, memorandums, interaction with others, and communication through telephone and meetings.