Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor
Mandel JCC of the Palm Beaches, Boynton Beach
8500 Jog Rd
Boynton Beach, FL 33472
This position's primary responsibility is to ensure safety to prevent accidents, create a safe, positive learning environment for swim instruction for all age groups in and around the JCC aquatic complex. Duties include but are not limited to, supervision of members and guests, swim lesson development and execution, cleaning, policy enforcement, program and event set up/break down and various other duties associated with the aquatic complex operations. This position has daily, frequent contact with the public and requires the ability to interact with the public in a professional, friendly, positive and tactful manner at all times. Work is supervised on a limited basis as necessary. Work schedule is part-time and hours vary Sunday through Saturday with evening and weekend work as dictated by work schedule and agency programs.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Maintains visual surveillance to approved standards for the aquatic facility's patrons and fellow staff members;
- Ensures adherence to the aquatic facility's established policies, procedures, and safety guidelines for both the public and staff;
- Performs emergency water rescue duties to assist individuals in distress; applies rescue breathing and cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR/PR) techniques where necessary; administers first aid;
- Maintains all rescue and first aid equipment in proper operating condition at all times;
- Provides friendly and professional assistance to all patrons and delivers a high quality of customer service to all groups;
- Maintains general safety, cleanliness, and appearance of assigned amenities, in and around the pool, and be able to do so without distraction from lifeguard monitoring duties;
- Explains and interprets public safety rules and regulations, and aquatic operational procedures and programs to pool patrons, deliver a high degree of customer service to all patrons and user groups, enforces or refers enforcement to appropriate authorities;
- Participates in in-service training/certification programs to maintain current certifications in accordance with prescribed regulatory compliance standards;
- Follows and demonstrates correct teaching methods using the facility's JSwim Curriculum;
- Assists in setting up the facility for our classes;
- Provides a fun and positive atmosphere while teaching;
- Maintains a high level of awareness so as to ensure your students safety during class;
- Communicates accordingly and positively with students and their parents or guardians;
- Maintains familiarity with American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim levels and other Red Cross water safety courses and know how to use course materials effectively;
- Adapts teaching approaches to the age, experience and ability of participants so they can meet course objectives;
- Provides for the health and safety of participants, including ensuring that all teaching and practice areas are free of hazards, and that materials and equipment are safe;
- Covers all material required in the syllabus for a given level of the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim program within the specific timeframe allotted;
- Communicates regularly with participants and their parents, as appropriate, to ensure they are aware of progress;
- Recognizes and respond effectively in emergencies in accordance with facility emergency action plan;
- Enforces all aquatic facility policies, rules and regulations;
- Participates in regular in-service training sessions;
- Represents the Mandel JCC by maintaining a professional attitude;
- Communicates and enforces all Mandel JCC regulations and pool rules in a personable and professional manner;
- Communicates any potentially dangerous elements of the facility to the JSwim Director;
- Attends all scheduled staff meetings;
- Participate in and help facilitate staff training;
- Performs patron surveillance with a rescue tube from the guard stand;
- Remains alert and uses all senses while guarding;
- Works as a team with other lifeguards during special events; 30. Records daily participation numbers and completes daily activity reports;
- Tests the water, record results and record imbalances to the JSwim Director;
- Maintains cleanliness of pool deck and changing room areas;
- Sets up the pool for various activities such as laps, classes, or lessons;
- Ability to respond to an emergency and contact/activate EMS;
- Handles all incidents in a manner appropriate to your training;
- Completes additional duties as assigned by supervisor;
POSITION RELATIONSHIPS: Position requires frequent internal and external interaction with employees, supervisors, officers, board members, parents, families and children enrolled in the youth and camp programs, other agency personnel and community members. Responsible for maintaining positive, courteous and professional relationships with all JCC staff, professional staff from other related agencies and the greater community.
NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT: The Mandel JCC of the Palm Beaches does not discriminate against employees or clients on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status or any other characteristic protected by Federal and State law. A non-discrimination clause concerning employment opportunity is incorporated in the Personnel Manual. The Mandel JCC of the Palm Beaches will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.Minimum Qualifications:
- Valid American Red Cross Lifeguarding certificate;
- Valid American Red Cross or American Heart Association CPR for the Professional Rescuer is required;
- Valid American Red Cross First Aid certification;
- Water Safety Instructor from the American Red Cross or recognized equivalent;
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Tasks involve the ability to exert moderate physical effort which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 75 pounds), bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, and sitting.
- Instructors must be able to see in bright light. (Instructors must provide their own equipment, i.e. sunglasses, for dealing with glare and bright light conditions.) Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Must have visual and auditory ability to keep track of multiple swimmers and to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to swimming activities.
- Must possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of swimmers;
- Lifeguards are expected to be attired appropriately for entering the water as part of their guarding.
- Lifeguards are expected to enter the water as needed to perform maintenance and other functions, and should be able to return to their initial post for an extended period, even in wet clothing.
- Effective and clear communication is essential between staff and patrons.
- Frequent exposure to outside elements (i.e. sun exposure, heat, humidity, rain)
- Noise level can be moderate to loud
The JCC is a non-profit social services agency founded upon Jewish ethics and values. Committed to meeting the ever-changing needs of the entire community, the JCC strengthens Jewish identity and enriches quality of life through diversified social, educational, recreational, and cultural programs. Operating out of two facilities throughout Palm Beach County, the JCC provides the total community with a forum for open dialogue and offers inclusive wellness, education, and community services for members and guests of all backgrounds.