Reports to: Aquatic Director
General function: The lifeguard will be responsible for the safety, well-being, andenjoyment of the aquatic programs and facility for all participants. The lifeguard is responsible for assuring the safety of all those in thepool area by being on deck, walking around the pool area, constantly remaining alert while on duty, enforcing all pool rules, and performing other duties assigned by the Senior Aquatic Director or Assistant Aquatic Director.
Know-how or Education required:
- Maintain current Red Cross lifeguard certification.
- Maintain current Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Standard First Aid & Safety or equivalent certifications.
- Continue to maintain good health and fitness.
- Experience teaching YMCA Swim Lessons Strongly desired.
Minimum age requirement: 18 years old
- Lifeguard must be wearing a swimsuit, YMCA lifeguard shirt, guard tube, and have a whistle at all times (GUARD READY).
- Must actively scan the entire pool at all times, including the bottom.
- Arrive at least 5 minutes prior to shift start time.
- Responsible for enforcing all pool safety and health rules, and be able to explain why they are important.
- Responsible for obtaining an approved substitute.
- Responsible for cleanliness of the entire pool area.
- Maintain accurate pool chemical readings. Test the pool at designated times and notify the Director if readings are exceptionally high or low.
- Lifeguards are not permitted to take part in any activity that would distract them from watching the pool. This includes doing homework and instructing, talking for extended periods either with member or other staff. No personal calls will be allowed to/from the pool deck. No texting or cell phones.
- Responsible for filling out an accident report which must be legible, detailed, and filled out completely every time.
- Keep accurate statistics of recreational swims.
- Must be on deck at all times in one of the lifeguard chairs or in a standing/walking position at the edge of the pool.
- Must never leave pool area unattended when on duty and must lock the pool area when no lifeguard is on duty.
- Report any damaged equipment to the Aquatic Director.
- Must attend all scheduled staff meetings.
- Responsible for conducting classes according to the Y of the USA Aquatic Program, adapted where necessary for local conditions.
- Keeps appropriate records such as attendance and progress reports for all students.
- Responsible for the efficiency of the lesson program through rigorous adherence to standards set for progression and honest evaluation of student's abilities.
- Responsible for service to members and participants by learning and using student's names and being available before and after class for questions from participants and parents.
- Responsible for attending all scheduled classes within a session; when an absence in unavailable, secures a substitute and provides lesson plans for that substitute.
- Maintains the highest level of safety in all activities. The instructor bears the primary burden for the safety of his or her class at all times.
- Represents the Y in a positive, professional manner at all times through adherence to the dress code and courtesy towards all members, guests, and staff.
- Performs other duties as required