The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. Owned and operated by members of the Bozzi and Ganzi families for over 90 years, The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the preparation of menu items for the restaurant as directed by the Executive Chef or Sous Chef. Preparation of all station items. Preparation and portioning of red meat, veal, chicken, pasta, seafood and vegetables. Assist Sauté station as needed. Assist other team members when needed while adhering to Palm food standards. Responsibilities and hours worked vary within individual restaurants.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, you must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require that you embody a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to guests and team members at all times.
A Cook 3 must fulfill all essential functions of the job description consistently and in a timely manner. These functions may change over the course of employment.
Functions include but are not limited to the following areas:
• Must love and support their TEAM!
• Must love and take care of guests!
• Must have a passion for guest service.
• Must say “Yes”, “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
• Maintains the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
• Ensure the security and safety of guests and team members through pro-actively managing sanitation, maintenance, security and prevention of injury from accidents.
Maintain all Palm quality standards in spite of the extraordinary challenges presented by high volume, volume fluctuations, and physical plant limitations.
• Maintain food quality by maintaining the highest standards of personal hygiene, proper food handling techniques, and a clean, well-maintained physical plant.
• Follow all Palm standard recipes and portion servings correctly and according to menu specifications.
• Follow all recipes, food preparation methods, and plate presentations meet The Palm’s specifications and commitment to quality.
• All food products are properly labeled and stored. Follow First in – First out standards are adhered to.
• Cooling procedures are followed (when applicable).
• Exhibit efficiency in completing job requirements through working with a sense of urgency and consolidating tasks.
• Able to successfully work as a Cook 2, Cook 1 and Dishwasher.
• Obtain and maintain current ServSafe Certifications.
Daily production is one of the most challenging “Essential Functions” of a Cook 3.
• Using daily production sheets (Prep Sheets) and recipe books are a requirement.
• A Cook 3 will sometimes be required to fill out Prep Sheets.
• A Cook 3 will sometimes be required to fill out end-of-shift Perpetuals information.
• A Cook 3 must have flexibility in production to accommodate the demands of the PDR business.
• A Cook 3 must have flexibility in production to accommodate the busy/non busy days of a la Carte business.
Production/Prep sheets will be required for: A la carte dining, PDR Events, Special Events.
• Fulfill any other function as assigned by Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Sous Chef, Assistant General Manager, Restaurant Manager, and General Manager.
May be asked to assist with managerial duties such as: Inventory Control and Prep Sheets
• Must report to work on-time
• Must clock in at scheduled time and not before
• All work must be performed while on the clock.
• Must attend staff meetings and trainings unless approved by manager.
• Responsible to review schedule on the Team member portal for Scheduling System. Responsible to follow online procedures for shift changes, PTO requests, and other requests that impact the schedule.
• Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the leadership team.
• Take direction from all salaried staff including, GM, AGM Restaurant Managers, Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, and Sous Chefs.
Detail Oriented: Accuracy and attention to detail are imperative.
• Team player with ability to take direction.
• Strong organizational, leadership, and problem solving skills
• Understanding of local, state, and federal health and sanitation laws. Obtain and maintain current foodservice certification.
• Understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment, including stoves, refrigeration, slicer, knives, and dish machine.
• Extensive food knowledge.
• Knowledge of basic training techniques.
• Positive interpersonal skills.
Commitment: Must demonstrate commitment to getting the job done.
• Hours will vary on a weekly basis based on workload and deadlines.
• Have to be willing to work any days of the week
Working during weekends, holidays and peak business periods are required, including working any shift/day designated by either The Executive Chef or Sous Chef.
The physical demands will vary depending on area of study and, as described here, are representative of those that must be met by an team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to stand; sit; use hands to finger; handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or able to frequently lift and carry food, beverage, and other items greater than 35 pounds and able to transport up to 70 pounds regularly, work in hot and cold environments. Team member must be able to properly use kitchen equipment and tools to avoid accidents to themselves and other Team Members.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, and depth.
Ability to work in a high energy and demanding environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
People & Team Skills:
Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines and detailed questioning. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with varying levels of patrons and team members present.
Varying walking surfaces and working environments and equipment.
Varying levels of light sound, temperature and smoke.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a Team Member in this position may be asked to perform from time to time. Based on business needs or Guest service objectives, you may also be asked to perform other duties or tasks.
Professional Development and Advancement
A Cook 3 must be able to successfully work as a Cook 2 and Cook 1 to be considered for advancement in the company. A Cook 3 will have the opportunity for advancement to a Sous Chef. In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of a Sous Chef may be assigned for development purposes.
Must read, write and speak English fluently.
Professional oral and written communication skills.
Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divide in all units of measure