Do you want to work in a fast-paced back-of-house environment, preparing dishes from an ever-changing and innovative menu? Can you remain calm and adaptable under pressure? Can you maintain attention to detail when in a hectic environment? If yes, New Realm Brewing Co. wants you to join our team as a cook, under Executive Chef Richard Silvey! We are a 400-seat restaurant/brewery in Virginia Beach. We are perfection-seeking in all that we do, but we adhere to a “work-hard, play-hard” ethos and are committed to work-life balance.
Our ideal candidate will be cooperative and collaborative, energetic and upbeat, self-motivated and disciplined. He/she will be responsible for accurately and efficiently cooking all line items to the standards set by the Executive Chef, while ensuring consistency, quality, aesthetics, and food safety. He/she will be tasked with accommodating guests’ special requests, while not sacrificing quality, taste, or presentation. He/she will work together within a tight-knit team to maintain a safe, clean, well-stocked, mechanically well-ordered environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be timely and dependable.
- Maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation and health regulations and restaurant requirements.
- Demonstrate complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment use equipment and tools only as intended, properly and safely.
- Coordinate with the Executive Chef, Sous Chef, and other colleagues to review assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job.
- Ensure that the opening shift completes startup of kitchen line and designated prep work according to restaurant procedures.
- Complete opening duties:
- Set up work station with required mis en place, tools, equipment, and supplies according to standards.
- Inspect the cleanliness and working conditions of all tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Check production schedule and pars with each station or every cook.
- Establish priority items for the day.
- Inform the Executive Chef or Sous Chef of any supplies that need to be requisitioned for the days tasks.
- Transport supplies from the storeroom and stock in designated areas.
- Fabricate meat, fish and fowl for menu items when needed.
- Inspect cleanliness and organization of the line and work stations; rectify deficiencies.
- Prepare all menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
- Inform the Executive Chef or Sous Chef of any shortages before items run out.
- Monitor performance of assigned staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Be aware of all guest counts and count all food amounts.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Executive Chef or Sous Chef to optimize service to guest.
- Inform Executive Chef or Sous Chef of any items that can be used in daily specials or elsewhere.
- Maintain production charts according to department standards.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by the health department and restaurant requirements.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
- Disinfect and sanitize cutting boards and worktables.
- Transport empty, dirty pots and pans to the potwash station.
- Direct and assist Stewards in order to make clean up a more efficient process.
- Break down work station and complete closing duties according to departmental standards:
- Return all food items to the proper storage areas.
- Rotate all returned products.
- Wrap, cover, label and date all items being put away.
- Straighten up and organize all storage areas.
- Clean up and wipe down food prep areas, reach-ins/walk-ins, and shelves.
- Return all unused and clean utensils/equipment to specified locations.
- Ice down hot items from the steam table so they cool quickly.
- Turn off all equipment not needed for the next shift.
- Make sure all seafood is iced down and meats are stored on clean pans.
- Review status of work and follow-up actions with the Executive Chef and Sous Chef before leaving.
- Maintain high uniform and personal appearance standards.
- Assist in preserving a safe and secure work environment.
- Consistently meet all best practice standards set in employee handbook and during training.
Education and Experience:
- Secondary-level education required.
- 2+ years experience in a BOH setting preferred.
- Certification of culinary training a bonus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work under pressure, calmly but with a sense of urgency, in a hot, noisy and close-quarters environment.
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to work a variable schedule, potentially including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to work as a “team player,” maintaining open and honest communication with colleagues and management.
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for periods exceeding 4 hours.
New Realm Brewing Co. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, New Realm Brewing Co. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.