The Litigation Adjuster is responsible for daily management of first-party property lawsuits, documenting the files over the course of litigation, discussing legal strategies, analyzing litigation budgets, assisting with settlement negotiations, and conveying pertinent information to management. The role requires regular collaboration with defense counsel, the Litigation Manager, and/or the Associate Claims Attorney/Zone Manager for strategic planning and execution.
UPC Insurance Claims Overview:
Our mission statement is to Keep the Promise® – to our policyholders, our shareholders, and to our stakeholders. The promise to our policyholders is to fairly and timely resolve their claims. Our business practices, processes, objectives, and how we conduct ourselves daily is done so from the perspective of our policyholders rather than from our own convenience of how claims should be handled. This embodies the standard that our professional claims department strives to achieve every day, both in daily claims handling and CAT claims. Since the UPC mission is to be the premier provider of homeowner insurance in catastrophe exposed areas, we take our responsibility to Keep the Promise® as one of the fundamental tenets of accomplishing this mission.
- Acknowledge new suit assignments, provide a summary of the claim, analyze coverage issues, and identify claims issues through fact analysis.
- Negotiate settlements in collaboration with the litigation team and defense counsel within the scope of authority provided.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with our approved defense firms and other vendors in the industry.
- Keep abreast of insurance industry news, issues, updates, and trends.
- Discuss and direct strategy with defense counsel and establish a budget on each matter. Establish expense reserves according to the budget and manage the expenses accordingly.
- Prepare for and attend mediations, depositions, and trials as warranted. Travel may be required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Bachelor’s degree; minimum of five (5) years of experience handling first-party property claims in Florida; a current Florida adjuster’s license; working knowledge of the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure; minimum of three (3) years of experience handling first-party property litigated claims in Florida.
- Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
- Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers. Able to manage other individuals and maintain calm and reliable demeanor in the face of challenges.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
- Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with changing needs of customers
The duties of this position are typically performed in an office setting. There may be some minimal road and air travel involved.
This position requires minimal physical exertion. However, in order to properly perform the functions of the job, good speaking and listening skills are required.
Skills necessary for the effective performance of this position’s job functions include decision-making and analytical abilities, excellent interpersonal communication skills, effective problem-solving, oral and written communication capabilities, and the ability to fully utilize computers and computer programs.
Computers, calculators, and telephones.
- Written Communication Skills
- Oral Communication Skills
- Computer Literacy
- Customer Service
- Math Aptitude
- Reading Skills
- Time Management
This description is an outline of the major recurring responsibilities of the job. It is not intended to be all-inclusive of the work performed. Other related job objectives, special assignments, and less significant responsibilities will typically be performed by the incumbent.