The Litigation Adjuster is responsible for daily management of all first-party property lawsuits, documenting the files over the course of litigation, discussing legal strategies, analyzing budgets, assisting with settlement negotiations and conveying pertinent information to management. The role requires regular collaboration with defense counsel, the litigation manager and/or director and claims counsel for strategic planning and negotiating damage settlements.
Using strong organizational and interpersonal skills, the duties will include:
- Acknowledge new suit assignments; provide a summary of the claim, analyze coverage issues, and identify claims issues through fact analysis.
- Negotiate settlements in collaboration with the litigation team and defense counsel and make payments within scope of authority
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with our approved defense firms and other vendors in the industry.
- Keeps abreast of insurance industry issues.
- Discuss and direct strategy with defense counsel and establish a budget on each matter. Establish expense reserves according to the budget and manage the expenses accordingly.
- Attend and participate in mediations and depositions, if warranted. Travel may be required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned in support of the organization to Keep the PromiseSM.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Oral Communication Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Customer Relations/Diplomacy
- Customer Service
- Organization and Time Management
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in first party property claims adjusting
- Minimum 2 years’ litigation experience
- Working knowledge of civil procedure
- Current Florida adjusters’ license
Travel: Travel to and from depositions, mediations, arbitrations, and/or trials may be required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
- Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers. Able to manage other individuals and maintain calm and reliable demeanor in the face of challenges.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
- Civil Procedure: Has a strong knowledge of civil procedure and legal defenses associated with first-party property insurance litigation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The employee may be required to use any or all of the following on a daily basis: PC, telephone, cell phone, scanner, fax, printer and other office equipment.
*** Job descriptions will be reviewed and are subject to changes of business necessity. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.