Seasoned litigator/trial attorney to join the Chicago office of CNA Insurance litigation counsel to handle general liability matters. Provides full or specialized legal services to one or more areas supported. Has ongoing relationship and accountability for assigned legal matters. Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of recognized complexity and facts that are in question for which considerable legal judgment, experience and independent reasoning are required.
Essential Duties Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Handles defense of civil litigation cases from inception through trial. Develops litigation strategy and prepares/directs the preparation of all necessary materials i.e., briefs, motions, discovery, depositions, experts, etc. Advises whether a case should be tried or settled and actively drives case to resolution with an appropriate sense of urgency.
2. Handles bench and jury trials as first chair in both state and federal court as necessary. Tries all aspects of cases including court appearances, trial preparation, motions, discovery and negotiations.
3. Communicates regularly and concisely with clients, claim professionals, leadership and others in line with CNA best practices to ensure appropriate level of understanding and documentation exists for effective case management.
4. Conducts legal research and analysis of facts and information to provide counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
5. Prepares opinions or position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of legal issues/provisions.
6. Counsels client/management/claim professionals to avoid legally unsound decisions or plans and when changes in the law occur.
7. May train, or mentor other attorneys and paralegals. Trains department staff on appropriate procedures (e.g., claims, etc.).
8. Collaboratively works with clients, claim professionals, underwriting, risk control and other third parties while resolving legal issues.
9. Works independently in resolving legal cases with oversight supervision.
10. Excellent writing and oral advocacy skill.
11. Must be able to draft own pleadings, discovery and reports.
12. Ability to work remotely.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge Abilities
1. Advanced knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
3. Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software ie TeamConnect or other case management software.
8. Value driven to provide superior solutions to internal and/or external clients.
9. Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the client/organization.
10. Helps self and others to excel through collaboration and building strong relationships.
11. Thinks creatively and uses diverse ideas to solve problems.
12. Raises expectations of self and others by continuously learning and broadening industry and technical skills.
1. Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to Illinois Bar. Multistate bar admissions (IL/IN) a plus.
2. Minimum of five years of civil litigation experience. Requires trial experience and track record of results.