This is a paralegal position located in City of Industry, CA supporting the litigation group with a focus on personal injury litigation This position primarily supports outside counsel.
Provide substantive case management and advanced paralegal support for litigated matters impacting Union Pacific Railroad. This position is assigned to the litigation area within Union Pacific's Law Department, with a heavy emphasis on Employment, Labor and Federal Railroad Safety Act litigation.
- Provide support to in-house and retained counsel.
- Conduct investigations and prepare initial case assessments.
- Investigate and responses to administrative complaints.
- Assist in interviewing witnesses and deposition preparation.
- Obtain relevant, responsive information and documents in order to prepare responses to discovery.
- Draft pleadings, motions and appellate documents and file them with the court
- Assist in meet and confer process and draft case specific discovery to plaintiffs and other parties.
- Perform legal and non-legal research to assist attorneys in establishing UPRR's position and formulation of strategy.
- Assist in pre-trial and trial preparation. Assist attorneys during trial as required.
- A Bachelor of Arts degree in paralegal studies, or other bachelors degree in conjunction with paralegal certificate. Will consider equivalent work experience.
- 5 years experience as a paralegal with a personal injury litigaton focus (law firm or corporate law department)
- Proficient Microsoft Suite skills
- Applicable knowledge of motions, discovery, evidence, litigation documentation and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
- Proficient computer skills and experience with legal support technology
- Excellent customer service skills, time management, project management, and follow-up