The Compass Experiment is seeking a creative, dynamic local business executive to forge partnerships with local business owners and drive new revenue streams for our local sites.
This role is responsible for selling solutions to local partners aimed at helping them with their advertising, marketing and branding needs. This person must be well-versed in digital display advertising but also able to work beyond it, including, but not limited to event sponsorships, branded content and reader revenue.
The ideal candidate brings a strong understanding of the local marketplace and where our offering fits in. They must be able to tell our story to local partners and encourage them to be a part of what we are building.
This person will work closely with the central Compass team on strategies to grow our audience and our value to local business partners.
This role reports to Compass Business Operations Manager and will be based solely in the local community. Local applicants strongly preferred. Previous publishing sales experience is preferred, but not required.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop partnerships with local businesses and community organizations to assist them in reaching their goals through comprehensive media solutions.
- Own and execute a solutions-oriented sales plan tailored for the local market.
- Support local partners in self-service advertising as needed.
- Pursue and close new business and revenue streams in a timely fashion.
- Perform cold-contacts with sources and networks.
- Retain, manage, and grow local partnerships over time.
- Identify, monitor and accurately forecast sales activity on a monthly basis.
- Prepare presentations and sales proposals in cooperation with central staff.
- Negotiate terms and conditions with advertisers and sponsors.
- Work collaboratively across the Compass team as well as the larger McClatchy company on refining local revenue strategy.
Skills and Experience:
- 2 or more years of experience in a sales role with a history of meeting and exceeding sales goals. Digital media sales experience a plus.
- Be a motivated self-starter who can approach the job with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to identify and understand local market potential.
- Be articulate when presenting our story and products to business decision makers.
- Have good listening and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate with customers on a proactive basis via phone, email and in person.
- Have a solid understanding of the online marketing/advertising industry.
- Comfort conducting face-to-face customer meetings, presentations, proposals and demonstrations.
- Willingness to continuously learn, try new things and adapt to change.
- Proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel and Word (or similar programs).
- Requires dependable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
Benefits and Application:
All Compass team members will be full-time employees of McClatchy. Employee benefits include 401K and competitive medical, dental and life insurance offerings.
In your cover letter, please tell us how your professional experience reflects the attributes we’re looking for, and why you’re uniquely suited for this opportunity.