The Compass Experiment is seeking a local content manager to manage daily publishing, uphold website standards and assist with customer service needs.
This role is responsible for posting local content not created by the news team (obituaries, birth announcements, classifieds, events, news releases, etc.) and assisting the editor in posting stories already approved for publishing.
This person will work closely with the local editorial team to maintain site standards and handle incoming queries, feedback and submissions from the community. This includes, but isn’t limited to watching and moderating comments as well as responding to incoming emails and phone calls in a timely and professional manner.
This role reports to the Local Editor and will be based solely in the local community. Local applicants strongly preferred. Previous journalism experience is not required, but is preferred. Training will be provided.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Publish all non-news content items (obituaries, birth/wedding/engagement announcements, classifieds, events, news releases, etc.).
- Basic optimization and publishing of editor-approved articles using our content management system.
- Monitoring and moderating comments as needed on news stories and social media posts.
- Helping readers and clients with their questions, complaints and submissions via email, phone and social media in a friendly, professional and timely manner.
- Representing the publication on a promotional basis at community events.
- Contacting and scheduling freelancers.
- Reviewing website ads to ensure they adhere to our standards.
- Maintaining and updating online polls, contests and other engagement elements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Some night and weekend work may be required.
- Comfortable using a computer and a content management system (CMS).
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Be a skilled communicator and team player.
- Motivated and able to work independently.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable interacting with the community on the phone and in person.
- Writing and editing abilities are definite assets.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Benefits and Application:
All Compass team members will be full-time employees of McClatchy. Employee benefits include 401K and competitive medical, dental and life insurance offerings.
In your cover letter, please tell us how your professional experience reflects the attributes we’re looking for, and why you’re uniquely suited for this opportunity.