The Compass Experiment is seeking ambitious, high-energy local news reporters to find and unravel complex stories and tell them in compelling ways.
The ideal candidate has deep experience in the area and knows the local audience well. Our local teams are not only writers and editors, but also community ambassadors for our reporting. Community engagement is built in at every step of what we will do.
As a small staff, all Compass local editorial employees will have a role in reporting, writing, editing, publishing and promoting daily news. We’re aiming for quality over quantity, so staff should be focused on pursuing stories that engage the local audience. The successful candidate must be able to juggle producing quick-turn stories, providing context to daily news and developing long-term projects.
The ability to write and report for digital and print platforms in ways that resonate with audiences is a must. The reporter should be adept using digital reporting tools, knowledgeable about accessing public records, and able to analyze data to strengthen reporting.
The job requires the ability to understand our audience and frame stories in a way that highlights what is most important and essential to them.
This role reports to the Local Editor and will be based solely in the local community. Local applicants strongly preferred.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Regularly write news and enterprise stories that are clear, accurate, engaging and of high interest and relevance to local readers.
- Develop sources that go beyond government and company officials and include regular people who will be impacted by big decisions.
- Be able to juggle daily, short-term and long-term enterprise stories.
- Work with editors to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
- Handle deadline demands on breaking news when appropriate.
- Work with central and local editors to use audience metrics to determine the best stories for building our audience.
- Produce basic video and photos in the field as needed.
- Write and report on a continuous-news cycle, publishing to digital platforms as well as social platforms as required.
- Use judgment in determining best digital tools for conveying news to readers in varying circumstances and formats
- Use social networks to seek story ideas, report in real time and connect with the community.
- Participate in training sessions offered and seek out learning opportunities.
- Education and knowledge: Prior experience in a daily newsroom required. Local applicants strongly preferred.
- Excellent news judgment, a demonstrated ability to see a story and a deep appreciation for our watchdog role.
- Highly developed reporting, writing and social media skills with a strong sense of writing voice.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and community members
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- The ability to get to know different segments of the community and understand their needs.
- The ability to quickly develop reliable sources.
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Fundamental understanding of research tools.
- The ability to evaluate, interpret and analyze issues and trends.
- The ability to report, analyze and write with speed.
- The ability to write in different styles, voices and formats.
Benefits and Application:
All Compass team members will be full-time employees of McClatchy. Employee benefits include 401K and competitive medical, dental and life insurance offerings.
In your cover letter, please tell us how your professional experience reflects the attributes we’re looking for, and why you’re uniquely suited for this opportunity.