Summary: Under the supervision of the Materials Manager the Logistics Manager is responsible for managing all shipping operations for the facility to ensure shipments meet customer and company specifications/standards. This role will partner with production team and coordinate with external logistics and carrier partners as well as JELD-WEN’s internal transportation team to efficiently schedule all shipments and work to achieve 100% on-time and in-full shipping performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure on-time and in-full shipment deliveries in response to customer order specifications.
- Partner with on-site production managers, production schedulers as well as corporate transportation team to facilitate shipping.
- Manage and maintain all shipping paperwork and data.
- Plan and coordinate shipping to maximize trailer space and weight utilization as well as identify most efficient shipping routes.
- Develop and execute plans to eliminate identified excess shipping cost
- Lead partnership with carriers to ensure that required assets are available in advance of shipping date and required pickup schedules are met.
- Ensure all shipments are available for pickup based on scheduled cutoff times
- Oversee and manage packaging and loading of product to maintain safe and damage free transit.
- Supervise shipping department team to verify that all safety and quality standards are met.
- Drive continuous improvement through the use of JELD-WEN Excellence Model (JEM) tools and processes.
- Maintain accurate inventory of finished goods in shipping area.
- Provides leadership and training to accomplish plant/company goals and objectives in accordance with JELD-WEN’s Mission Statement.
- Assists in development, and implements safety awareness programs, communicates safety issues, corrects safety-related problems and assists in investigations into safety-related issues as needed and as directed.
- Assists in the performance evaluations of team and proactively manages performance daily.
- May perform other or specified duties as directed by the Plant Manager, Materials Manager, or other appropriate supervisory personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred, Associates degree and relevant job experience required.
- Experience working in LTL, TL, Dedicated and Private Fleet environment
- Working knowledge of LTL and TL tariffs and rating tools/processes
- Experience with shipping using SAP and industry leading TMS
- APICS CLTD and or CSCP preferred
- 5+ years shipping and/or warehouse experience to include managing a large-scale shipping department.
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, technical aptitude, and problem-solving skills, and the ability to drive process improvement techniques throughout the shipping process in a skillful and deliberate manner.
- Strong team skills, including the ability to coach and develop work teams and provide appropriate training on CI methods and initiatives to subordinates.
- The ability to motivate/empower others, and resolve conflict, and possess a basic understanding of management principles and concepts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills up and down the organizational hierarchy.
- Basic understanding of JELD-WEN’s Mission Statement and overall corporate goals and objectives, and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple priorities on a daily basis.
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office and other position applicable software applications.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day. May on occasion travel to appropriate seminars and training.
JELD-WEN is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. To ensure the safety and health of our employees, JELD-WEN maintains a drug-free work environment.