Job Title: LPN/Clerical/Clinical
Reports To: Practice Manager
Prepared Date: 2/2019; 5/2019
The LPN/Clerical/Clinical is responsible for assisting Physicians and/or Advanced Practice Providers in the clinic setting. Duties include: rooming patients, medical histories, completing thorough documentation in EMR, preparation/administration of injections, patient phone calls, assisting with procedures, including the application and removal of casts and fitting and educating use of Durable Medical Equipment (DME). Assists in general maintenance of equipment, supplies, and exam rooms.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following but are not limited to:
- Greets patients, completes rooming process, documents medical history in patients EMR. Answers patients’ general questions and assists provider throughout the clinic visit.
- Answers patients’ telephone calls and schedules office and follow-up appointments
- Obtains & processes referrals as directed by Provider.
- Prepares paperwork for new patients/requests paper charts for upcoming established patient visits if requested by Provider.
- Processes medical records requests
- Tracks and documents “no-show” patients
- Monitors patient waiting area/makes coffee/straightens up area if needed
- Collects co-pays/POA, etc. and balances cash drawer
- Gathers information for outside testing if required
- Obtains authorizations from insurance companies for testing and injections
- Provides back-up coverage and assists in daily clinic routine when needed in other areas
- Monitors and maintains front office equipment; Orders office supplies, orthopaedic/medical equipment, and supplies
- Cleans, and stocks/maintains examination rooms and equipment, reports need for repair or maintenance to manager
- Orders supplies within budgetary constraints
- Assists physicians and/or advanced practice provider with special procedures, gathers necessary equipment and instruments, positions patient and assists as needed.
- Prepares X-ray orders per physician protocol, directs or transports patient to Radiology
- Prepares laboratory requisitions, arranges for transport of specimens to laboratory as appropriate
- Removal of sutures, staples, dressing and wraps; application and removal of casts and splints
- Application and patient education of DME
- Preparation and drawing up of injections
- Phone in prescription and document in patient record per physician order.
- Gathers necessary data and instructional materials for discharged patients, ensures that patient is aware of any necessary follow-up appointment times and locations.
- Makes sure patients x-ray films are transported to the follow up location in a timely manner so they are there for the patient’s follow up visit.
- Patient education on physician’s plan of care (hand-outs/return demonstration etc.)
- Ensures charge tickets are marked appropriately for injection and/or equipment and supplies are given to patient.
- Attends in-services and departmental meetings
- Keeps manager informed on key issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works well with patients, physicians, vendors, sales reps and other CCOC employees.
- Successfully meets Unit Specific Skill Sets
- Complies with all Standards of Behavior set forth by CCOC
- Adheres to policies and procedures set forth in CCOC Employee Manual
- Adheres to the CCOC attendance policy
- Follows HIPAA, OSHA and Compliance Plan regulations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Graduate of a school of practical nursing
Current license to practice practical nursing in the State of Ohio
Additional related previous experience and/or preparation may be required for specialty units
Authorized to administer medications by The State of Ohio Board of Nursing
Prior front desk experience in a medical office preferred
BLS required within three months of hire
Excellent communication skills required both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate effectively with administrative staff, physicians, employees, as well as external customers.
Ability to plan and organize
Works well under pressure of environment
Demonstrate/knowledge and responsibility through reference from education and/or job experience
Ability to effectively interact with populations of patients/customers with an understanding of their needs for self-respect and dignity
Assumes accountability for demonstrating behaviors consistent with customer service policy
Ability to work in a team environment by accepting and offering honest and constructive feedback
Must possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal
Must be organized and detail oriented and able to prioritize in a fast paced environment
Must be able to closely follow a physician’s instruction.
Must have excellent clinical skills as well as ICD-10 and CPT coding
Basic computer skills required
Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry items weighing up to 50 lbs.
Requires exposure to communicable disease, blood, body fluids, sharps, toxic substances, ionizing radiation and other potentially hazardous conditions common to a clinical environment
Must have the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time, reach, twist, bend, see, hear and speak
Finger dexterity and the ability to grasp is required
As an organization, all employees with patient contact are expected to demonstrate competencies, specific to their job duties, for the following patient population categories:
Elderly, Children, Cardiac, Neuro, Surgical, Impaired (Hearing/Visual), Cultural, Age.
NOTE: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.