Position: LRV Maintenance Supervisor
Department: Light Rail Operations
Reports To: Sr. Manager of Rail Vehicle Maintenance & Light Rail Materials
Salary Range: $45,352 -$57,824
Responsible for assigning, monitoring, and training technical personnel in connection with the inspection, maintenance, repair, installation and alteration of all Light Rail Vehicles (LRV) and sub-systems to ensure safe and reliable operation.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Oversee and execute maintenance actions within schedule and budget utilizing work windows allowed by operating considerations. Report delays and problems promptly, taking appropriate action to maintain effective coordination of activities.
- Develop plans to meet unexpected situations, emergencies and unusual events. Assess factors and conditions affecting maintenance activities, responding appropriately when these change and keep all interested and involved parties informed of matters requiring their attention.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable policies and rules. Recommend safety procedures and standard practices to ensure maintenance activities proceed safely and efficiently.
- Performs inspections of LRV’s and sub-systems including but not limited to building electrical/mechanical, and other elements related to maintaining a safe operating light rail system. Submits verbal and written reports of inspection findings to the Sr. Manager of Rail Vehicle Maintenance and Light Rail Materials. Recommends and executes maintenance schedules and supervisory procedures.
- Communicates effectively with the Sr. Manager of Rail Vehicle Maintenance and Light Rail Materials the results of LRV maintenance activities, and other relative information and to other Hampton Roads Transit personnel as necessary.
- Coordinates effective contracted efforts by explaining problems and directing contractors and Hampton Roads Transit personnel in such activities. Oversees, reviews, and accepts or rejects work performance by contractors. Communicates progress of all LRV work activities.
- Trains Hampton Roads Transit employees in the safe and efficient performance of LRV system maintenance and proper operation of equipment/tooling.
- Provide guidance and direction to LRV maintenance employees.
- Assign the schedules and duties of employees by issuing oral and written instructions, ensures that an orderly scheduling interface with operations requirements are maintained.
- Assign personnel to provide emergency service.
- Responsible for monitoring productivity and quality of subordinate maintenance personnel performance.
- Develop and maintain effective and efficient assignment of responsibility and expected level of performance for assigned employees.
- Monitor and evaluate work in progress for timeliness and ensure the quality of all work performed.
- Ensure that services are performed on schedule.
- Evaluate work performance of assigned personnel on a continuing basis to recommend for commendation or to identify the need for improvement or change.
- Ensure that daily, accurate records are maintained for each technician's work hours, and a detailed account of the specific work functions each has accomplished.
- Enforce departmental policies and procedures, and monitor employee attendance.
- Develop, administer and maintain records of instruction programs for safety, preventative maintenance and shop equipment.
- Operate On Track Equipment and other maintenance equipment as required for training and maintenance activities.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, EEO Program audit, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
- Written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Ability to lead, understand and supervise maintenance repair, troubleshooting, rebuilds and overhaul of LRV’s.
- Ability to analyze malfunctions in mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, electric equipment and determines repair and performs system fabrication and assembly tasks.
- Knowledge of technical math skills.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and correctly use test equipment (voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter, oscilloscope, insulation breakdown tester, wire tracer and other equipment as required).
- Ability to provide technical training and guidance for maintenance personnel in the diagnosis, repair, preventive maintenance and service of LRV’s.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities/priorities simultaneously.
- Must meet established Hampton Roads Transit goals and work standards.
- Knowledge of and experience with electric/mechanical maintenance safety practices as they pertain to rail transportation systems.
- Knowledge of pneumatic, hydraulic systems, electric, testing and inspection methods/tools for maintenance and inspections.
- Keep updated with current laws, regulations, and developments in areas related to maintenance operations and inform employees as needed.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of electrical installation
- Knowledge of laws, ordinances, and regulations covering electrical installation, maintenance safety and accident prevention
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, specification and electronic, electrical and electromechanical schematics, and diagrams
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Email, Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and ability to learn the SPEAR Maintenance Management System
Training and/or Education:
Associates Degree/Vocational Training certificate in the Electrical or Electronic technical field and four (4) years of directly related trade experience with a Journeymen electrician license. OR High School Diploma or GED with six (6) years of directly related trade experience.
Journeyman/Lineman electrical trade experience. A combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to the criterion listed above and satisfies the knowledge, skills, and abilities requirements will also be considered.
Licenses or Certificates:
Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements. Ability to pass Rail Operations Rule Book and DOT physical agility examinations and successfully complete Rail Track Equipment Training/Certification Program. Must meet ongoing educational, training and DOT requirements and maintain On Track Equipment Certification
Ability to pass DOT physical examination. Pass HRT Electrical Maintenance entrance exam with a minimum 80% score. This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to perform heavy manual labor, frequently lifting up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds with the assistance of applicable equipment or other employees. Ability to meet color and peripheral vision requirements. Must be able to work from heights with the assistance of proper safety equipment. Ability to work in all outdoor weather conditions. Risk of electrical shock.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties will require working weekends and Holidays.
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Employee Referral Program
- Paid sick days
- Vacation/paid time off
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Paid Holidays
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Medical, Dental and Vision
$45,352.00 - $57,824.00 /year