Job Title: Machine Learning Postdoctoral Research Associate
Org: Instrumentation, Controls, Data Science
Work Location: Idaho Falls, ID (Town)
Empowering the Nation's Energy Future
Mission: Discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Vision: INL will change the world's energy future and secure our critical infrastructure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Idaho National Laboratory is seeking a Post-Doctoral Research Associate with experience in Machine Learning to join the Instrumentation, Controls, and Data Science Department. The research will focus on using machine learning to develop equipment-agnostic anomaly detection methods that can be applied to process sensors data used in the nuclear power industry. The research will also develop language processing methods to classify documents in support of anomaly detection and streamlined operations and maintenance in the nuclear industry.
You are expected to have independent problem-solving, mentoring, and leadership skills that will enable you to take your own research path and take ownership of projects.
Ph.D. in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or a related science or engineering discipline awarded within the last 3 years.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident (LPR), or export exempt (successful candidate will work with nuclear power plant data which are export controlled.)
• Demonstrate understanding of machine learning methods with special focus on temporal data applications, including their underlying concepts, limitations, strengths, and scope
• Demonstrate understanding of language processing methods
• Skills and experience with a range of development environments used in data science
• Experience using Python libraries for data science (e.g., Scikit-learn, Pandas, Tensorflow, Matplotlib, NumPy, and SciPy)
• Industrial experience is desired but not mandatory. Specifically, some knowledge in fossil, nuclear, or any other form of plant operations is beneficial.
• Strong machine learning and artificial intelligence background (highly preferred)
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Strong project management and interpersonal skills
• Strong programming skills in MATLAB, R, Python, or C++.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete milestones and deliverables
• Ability to develop new business by building relationships with existing and new customers inside and outside laboratory
• Ability to propose innovative new ideas, finding means of funding them and successfully deliver tangible results.
• Willingness to travel periodically to interact with customers or to attend conferences
Special Requirements and/or Training:
Must be able to work in a culturally diverse work environment.
Employee Job Functions
Employee Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job position which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
Motor abilities: Fine motor control (hands); Repetitive work - intermittent.
Special Senses: Visually demanding work; Speech discrimination; Near vision.
Work conditions: Stairs; >8 Hrs/day; Working alone.
Please Apply Before: September 6, 2020 (midnight)
Environmental, Safety and Health Statement
Must be familiar with, and comply with all relevant health and safety requirements. Must be knowledgeable of emergency action policies and procedures, methods for reporting/resolving work practices or conditions to available cognizant professionals.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 4,300 scientists, researchers and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and develop technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security and environmental missions.
The Idaho Falls Area
Idaho Falls is conveniently situated near many national treasures such as Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Jackson, WY, etc. For more information about the area, please visit www.visitidahofalls.com andwww.visitidaho.org.