At Graphic Packaging International (NYSE: GPK), we produce the box you may have poured your child’s cereal from this morning, the microwaveable tray that heated your lunch, the paper cup that held your coffee throughout the day, and the carrier of those bottles of craft beer you may enjoy tonight! We’re one of the largest manufacturers of paperboard and paper-based packaging for some of the world’s most recognized brands of food, beverage, foodservice, household, personal care and pet care products. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a team of collaborative, innovative, passionate individuals who are committed to providing consumer packaging that makes a world of difference.
With almost 18,000 employees working in more than 70 locations in North and South America, Europe and the Pacific Rim, we strive to be an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities where we operate. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefits programs that are among the industry’s best to reward the talented people who make our company successful.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you. Learn more about us atwww.graphicpkg.com.
Inspired Packaging. A World of Difference.
Machine Operator I
We have a great opportunity for a motivated self-starter in our Machine Trial Order Facility (MTO). The Machine Trial Order (MTO) group, within Innovation and Design, is primarily responsible for the generation of production-quality folding paperboard carton samples that are used by our end-use customers for marketing, proof-of-design, and equipment set-up purposes. Further, the MTO group is responsible for the generation of production phenolic and steel counter plates that directly support our nation-wide network of commercial converting operations.
The Machine Operator should be familiarity with machine operations such as (CNC machining, counter cutting, laser cutter, die cutter, gluer, printing press, die making equipment, plotter table, etc.) and have solid computer skills. This position’s responsibilities include effectively and efficiently meeting internal and external customer needs, expectations, and requirements; as well as confronting complex processes and technical challenges requiring direct involvement, understanding, and support to reach resolution.
Primary Responsibilities are, but not limited to the following:
Schedule Management and Machine Operations:
- Actively monitor, maintain, and control work schedule (including daily load balancing) and back-log using computer programs, machine knowledge, as well as email and phone interaction with plants and other departments
- Operate and maintain one primary and two secondary machines as needed by the schedule (machines include die cutters, gluer, printing press, CNC milling, and Sheeter)
- Operate forklifts and clamp trucks as necessary
- Perform Preventative maintenance and assist with other maintenance on machines
- Use guillotine to prepare stock
Software / Computer
- Use equipment and computer applications to ship product
- Understand and efficiently use the corporate database and software for a variety of tasks including schedule, order records, equipment log, and accounting functions
- Read and understand design blue prints
- Complete all necessary housekeeping duties
- Actively engage in maintaining a safe working environment and a safety-first mentality
- Use Bailer for board disposal
- Work independently and as part of a team to complete the schedule and all daily required tasks in a timely manner
- Effectively interface and interact with internal and external customers, stakeholders, peers, and co-workers to resolve issues (such as our plants, carton structure designers, and manufacturing designers) in a timely fashion
Training and Continuous Improvement
- Actively participate in employee Certification and Re-Certification activities
- Provide input to improving and creating training and process documents
- Assist in the identification and development of Continuous Improvement initiatives
- Monitor, manage, and complete projects of varying focus, scope, complexity, and duration
- All other duties as assigned
The above job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Graphic Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. Click here to view the EEO is the Law Poster.
- High-level of mechanical knowledge and aptitude for CNC machining, printing/coating, die cutting, production tooling design, finishing processes, and graphics layout
- Prior demonstrated experience (0-2 years) with hands-on production of folding carton structures and/or folding carton machine operations
- Working knowledge of paperboard substrates
- Working knowledge of carton structural design
- Prior experience with ArtiosCAD and SAP
- Prior mechanical or electrical maintenance experience in an industrial/commercial environment
- Any level of LEAN / Six Sigma education and experience
- Solid Computer Skills
- High School Diploma or GED
- Machine Operation Experience
- Very high level of focus and attention to Safety, Quality, and Productivity expectations and requirements
- Dynamic, flexible, and personable team player with the ability to participate in team activities to achieve desired results
- Effective time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple assignments and meet short deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization
- Ability to work independently while supporting team goals and objectives
- Technical and analytical skills
- Highly detail-oriented
- Willingness to learn and be trained
- Ability to apply initiative and exercise good judgment when making timely decisions based on data, facts, and experience