Metals USA Plates & Shapes, Inc -- Philadelphia, PA
Position Title: Machine Operator
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: 1st Shift
The Machine Operator under limited supervision performs moderately to advanced production activities to close tolerances in a metal production environment requiring skill and competency in production process and machine operation. This Machine Operator will possess demonstrated proficiency in the following operational functions to include: brake press, shear, saw and slitter.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Reviews blue prints, work orders, tooling instructions or other written specifications.
* Coordinates and executes materials to be processed including operation of overhead crane, jib crane or forklift.
* Chooses correct material for the job according to work order.
* Sets up and aligns material, operates and tends angle master machine to cut material to specified dimensions per work order instructions. Reads and understands prints, nests and work instructions and verifies heat numbers before performing work.
* Reads and interprets nests and diagrams to shear material to size and form per customer drawings.
* Sets up, operates and tends angle master machine, which cuts material to specified dimensions.
* Guides work pieces into the angle master machine, by hand or operates feeding device to guide cuts.
* Performs quality control inspections on finished product; for ISO certified locations, performs In Process Quality Inspections.
* Diagnoses problems and makes necessary adjustments and removes scrap from machine.
* Stacks, bands and palletizes finished products for shipment to customers.
* Regular and predictable attendance is required to perform the duties of an angle master machine operator in the warehouse.
* Notifies management of any product discrepancies or equipment malfunctions, and or personal injuries.
* Complies with company and OSHA safety policies and safe work practices.
* Adheres to Reliance Steel and Aluminum's Code of Conduct as well as customer confidentiality requirements.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Valid OSHA Forklift Certification/License
* Valid OSHA Overhead Crane Certification/License
Occupation requires physical activity more than 66% of the time (> 5.5 hours per day)
Stand, walk, sit, handling/fingering, reach outward, reach above shoulder, climb, squat or kneel or bend
Lift, carry, push and/or pull 51 -- 100 lbs. with assistance
Other Physical Requirements:
Must wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
* Steel-toed boots or metatarsal boots
* Hard hats with chin strap; chin strap must be worn on elevated surfaces
* Protective eyewear
* Hand protection
* Arm guards/sleeves
* Hearing protection if required by the hearing conservation program
May be exposed to some of the following working conditions.
* Environmental temperature changes hot & cold
* Working inside and outside of an industrial warehouse
* Moderate to loud levels
* Oils, dust, fumes and metallic particles
* Day and night shifts
* High School Graduate or Equivalent
* Advanced reading and writing comprehension in English (to read work order instructions, safety and policy manuals)
* Advanced measuring skills to read English & Metric systems and a tape measure, caliper, gauges or micrometer
* Must have mechanical aptitude and arithmetic skills to calculate and convert decimals and fractions
* Minimum two (2) years proficient work experience with CNC industrial equipment for punching and shearing angle plate
* Experience operating an overhead crane / forklift operator
* Must be proficient in the use of hand tools including grinder
* Demonstrated manual dexterity, finger dexterity, arm-hand steadiness, and multi-limb coordination
* Computer Literacy; Microsoft Products, CAD Programming and ERP
* Must me organized with attention to detail
Metals USA offers a competitive starting salary and benefits package
EOE/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled