Job Description for CNC Operator
The CNC operator reads and interprets engineering blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of the finished work piece, sequence of operations, tooling programming and setup requirements. Under general supervision the operator will perform essential duties to ensure that parts are machined to those specifications. The operator will be able to program Proto Trak and/or G & M Code to accomplish the required result. The operator will also work with the CAM operator to develop programs to be downloaded to the machine. The operator may also work closely with Engineering and Assembly to provide in-process troubleshooting and evaluate the quality of the machined components or finished product.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as engineering blueprints, mechanical drawings, safety instructions/manuals; maintenance instruction and procedure manuals
* Ability to work in a team environment and use own initiative
* Translate instructions into computer commands so the machines can perform the correct function.
* Download control programs into individual machines and perform test operations to guarantee the machine properly creates the precise part.
* Prepare and load raw materials and parts onto the machines.
* Prepare a test run to check if the machines produce outputs according to specifications.
* Set machines to complete full cycles to fabricate required number of parts.
* Supervise machines during task execution and compare completed parts with requirements and make necessary adjustments to produce the best possible result.
* Inspect and measure finished products and compare with requirements to determine if the process has been completed properly.
* Check and maintain machinery daily to ensure proper functionality.
* Ability to operate and handle materials and tools in a safe manner, adhering to safety procedures at all times.
* Review specifications to determine setup procedure, machining sequence, and dimensions.
* Read blueprints, bill of materials, and other specifications to determine product requirements.
* Selects fixtures, part holding, and tooling to machine parts as necessary.
* Program, set up, and operate Proto Trak CNCs in the production of components to specification.
* Confirm conformance of finished work to specifications using measuring and inspection tools as necessary.
* Identifies workmanship and material defects and deficiencies and initiates program changes when required.
* Provides estimates of programming and machining time required for job quoting process.
* Perform other related duties as assigned.
* Positon may require overtime, weekend, and holidays, as needed.
* Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerances.
* Ability to meet production requirements as specified.
* Enforces housekeeping requirements, safety processes & risk assessments and maintains a safe and clean working environment throughout the facility.
* Special projects as assigned.
* Any other duties as required.
* School certifications or equivalent.
* Capable of programming components on machine controls using Proto Trak and/or G & M Code.
* Ability to apply concepts of trigonometry and math to machine operations.
* Experience working in a workshop environment.
* Must be able to communicate in English.
Education and Experience
* High school diploma/GED AND
* Two year technical degree with two years CNC manufacturing experience OR
* Four to Five years CNC manufacturing experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled