If you combine strong electrical controls experience in a manufacturing environment with expertise with Allen Bradley products and outstanding training and communication skills, the newly created role of Maintenance Controls Engineer could be the ideal next step in your career. Here's why; you will:
- Impact production by working closely with electricians, technicians and others to ensure the appropriate controls and training are in place to meet demands and deliver improvements as needed.
- Work with an outstanding Electrical Maintenance Manager with whom you can partner and help develop a top-notch team while also carving out your own path.
- Have wide visibility in a new role as you work with the team and update or replace controls in some areas.
- Enjoy a "best of both worlds" opportunity -- the innovative culture and smaller company atmosphere of Daramic, along with the stability and resources of our parent companies, Polypore International and Asahi Kasei.
- Earn competitive compensation, including bonus potential, and comprehensive benefits along with advancement opportunities. At Daramic, we are proactive about succession planning, allowing team members to drive their futures. While you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, should you desire, you could pursue advancement in Owensboro or at eight other plants worldwide, or pursue advancement in other Polypore International or Asahi Kasei Group companies in the U.S. and abroad.
For over 85 years, Daramic, LLC
has led the way in developing new and innovative technology for the lead acid battery market. With headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA— Daramic supplies high-performance polyethylene and phenolic resin battery separators to the lead acid battery industry. Daramic is part of Polypore International
, a leading global high technology company specializing in microporous membranes. Polypore brings advanced development and manufacturing know-how as well as unique problem-solving capabilities to customers' lithium-ion and lead-acid battery development teams. Polypore is an AsahiKasei Group
company, which is a diversified group of companies led by holding company Asahi Kasei Corp., with operations in the material, homes, and health care business sectors.Pictured: Many of Daramic's high-performance polyethylene battery separators are designed for starting, lighting and ignition (SLI) in lead-acid battery applications, such as automobiles, trucks and motorcycles.
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Maintenance Controls Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A BS degree in Electrical Engineering highly preferred
- 3-5 years of electrical controls with a BS or 6-10 years of experience in lieu of a degree
- Skill and proficiency with:
- Allen Bradley PLCs, Powerflex drives, and PanelViews
- Allen Bradley 1395 DC drive and ignition software
- CMMS software
- MS Office Suite
- Strong fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application
- Proven ability to transfer knowledge to others through training
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- The ability and desire to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Self-motivation and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced role, balancing multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Union experience is preferred
While the plant runs 24/7, you'll work a standard day shift, with the flexibility to work extended hours as needed to meet the demands of your role.Pictured: The Owensboro Plant and Global R&D Center.Plant and Production
Daramic develops and manufactures advanced lead-acid battery separators that are driving innovation in transportation and industrial applications with cars, trucks, forklifts, and golf carts as well as energy storage systems (ESS).
The Owensboro, Kentucky plant runs 24/7 with a team of more than 200 union and non-union employees. Production operations are split into three primary areas including mixing/extrusion, extraction, and finishing. You'll work with plant leaders, a team of union electricians and technicians and the Production department, in an active role where you'll spend approximately 75% of your time on the floor.Role Details
Reporting to the Plant Engineering Manager, as Maintenance Controls Engineer, you will will perform a variety of duties covering the electrical controls for our plant production equipment in an extruding process. You will assist a team of union electricians and controls technicians troubleshooting controls, and electrical and instrumentation issues within the production line. Additionally, you'll provide training, such as on PLCs, where needed. Specifically, you will:
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.Excellent Compensation
- Develop electrical and controls system design solutions based on engineering principles and involvement.
- Analyze requirements pertaining to technical calculations supporting design and including electrical requirements.
- Provide specifications of equipment, electrical control systems, process functions, and design for new equipment and implementation.
- Modify or maintain instrumentation and controls design for machinery and facilities.
- Support the manufacture, build and validation of systems that include specifying PLC system architecture for new installations.
- Support PLC programmers with machine control concepts and hardware selection.
- Train controls technicians and electricians on programming systems such as Allen Bradly platforms including RSLogix 5, 500, 5000.
- Provide support for fellow engineers within the Maintenance department with electrical and instrumentation designs for their projects.
- Maintain and update electrical drawings in the document control system.
- Provide continuous support of maintenance personnel with troubleshooting electrical and instrumentation breakdowns.
- Efficiently organize and plan work tasks to meet company goals.
- Understand PLC networking which includes Data Highway and Ethernet addressing.
- Conduct machine electrical part research, application and installation.
- Manage quality and safety responsibilities in areas including ISO 14001 Environmental Management System duties and meeting quality objectives resulting in the attainment of customer service and product goals.
In addition to competitive compensation, Daramic offers a comprehensive benefits package including a 401(k) plan with an excellent company match, paid vacation and holidays, medical, dental, vision and other insurance options, an Employee Assistance Program and more. Impact, Learning, and Development
You will have the opportunity to use the breadth of your abilities, including your technical, interpersonal and coaching skills. You will accumulate unique and diverse experience, enjoy a good deal of independence, increase your ability in various areas, such as team building, and enjoy wide visibility. Your successes will be noticed and appreciated.Drive Your Success
As already noted, there are ample opportunities within Daramic and Asahi Kasei Corp. companies to make your mark and thrive. We strive to create an environment where all of our employees can work to their top potential and feel good knowing they are making an impact daily. Whether your goal is to grow and thrive in this role for years to come, or you have your eye on future advancement, we provide the space you need to grow your career, and you'll ensure the same for your high-potential direct reports. From this role, you could advance in engineering, maintenance or leadership.Owensboro, Kentucky
Named as a Top 20 Southern City and an All-American City by the National Civic League, Owensboro is the 4th largest city in Kentucky and a great place to raise a family and/or build a life. We enjoy a below-average cost of living (84.70, based on the U.S. average of 100) including reasonable housing prices, a strong community with events and activities including the BBQ Festival, concerts in the park, the sports center / Moreland Park complex, the Ben Hawes Golf Course and more, and strong educational offerings including K-12, a junior college and two private universities. We sit on the beautiful banks of the Ohio River and are just 100 miles from Louisville. We think you'll enjoy it here. It's a place where you can work and thrive! To be successful in the role of Maintenance Controls Engineer, you'll understand our goals and vision, and your responsibilities. Training with the team on PLCs early on, will help ensure a consistent and knowledgeable approach to ensuring the PLCs run smoothly.
It will be important to earn credibility and the respect of the electricians, technicians and plant leaders to help drive results.
Additionally, an outstanding Maintenance Controls Engineer will have:
- A self-starter mindset with the ability to take ownership of daily priorities and shifting demands.
- The ability to work and thrive without a great deal of oversight.
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving.
- A positive, professional attitude.
- Honesty, integrity, and transparency.
- A clear and helpful communication style.