Performs general maintenance and regularly scheduled preventive maintenance duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must be able to read and comprehend labels, warnings, and maintenance and operating instructions. Must be able to perform duties typically acquired through completion of post-secondary technical training. Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing and related trades is required. On the job training will be provided for each specific skill area. Must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of the hospital organization and external agencies. Power Plant experience in a medium to large steam-producing plant is beneficial.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Completion of post-secondary technical training; vocational training; commercial/industrial mechanical, plumbing, or electrical training – OR – a minimum of three (3) years experience in general maintenance, mechanical, plumbing, electrical or related trade.
Valid Driver’s License.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Performs regularly scheduled preventive maintenance measures as set forth by the Engineering Department Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Assists with service functions, including basic corrective maintenance.
- Performs routine surveillance of assigned area(s).
- Maintains records of inspections and work performed.
- Performs housekeeping duties related to job clean-up.
- Evidences basic working skills in the areas of hand tools, portable electric hand tools, drills, circular saws, etc., test equipment (VOM, outlet tester, tension tester, Amprobe, and Pasar).
- Performs special assignments, as assigned.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all major engineering operations within the hospital, and in particular, in the assigned area.
- Inspects and maintains assigned areas, including shop.
- Improves knowledge and skills relative to basic skills, plant equipment types, applications and preventive maintenance measures.
- Attends service seminars as directed.
- Knows and observes hospital policies and departmental policies and procedures; complies with safety procedures established by the hospital and department.
- Completes reports and follows instructions.
- Maintains knowledge of chemicals typical to commercial/industrial systems.
- Accepts direction and training from Maintenance Engineer II’s.
- As appropriate, develops skills in one or more of the following shop areas: air conditioning, refrigeration, mechanical, electrical, electronic, plumbing and carpentry.
- Builds knowledge of related codes and standards and knowledge of safe work practices as it relates to OSHA.
- Participates in a cooperative team environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.