This is an undergraduate co-op student position which will support the Athens Maintenance Engineering group with technical assistance. The complexity of assignments will vary and increase according to the level of education and skills of the particular individual.Major responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the Maintenance Engineer, the Engineering Co-op will:
- Apply engineering knowledge to projects within the facility to streamline processes, increase efficiency, reduce waste, and resolve operational issues
- Gather, analyze, and report technical data such as process flow diagrams, energy and mass balances, equipment specifications, equipment vendor documentation, etc...
- Identify customer needs by participating in structured troubleshooting focused on root cause problem solving thorough the application of systematic tools such as Lean and Six Sigma
- Support the development and optimization of equipment: 1) PM scope and frequency, 2) calibration scope and frequency, and 3) spare parts inventory using risk based methodologies
- Develop Project Definitions (scope) and obtain stakeholder approvals
- Incorporate value engineering to deliver cost optimized solutions
- Review designs with Safety to ensure compliance with internal and external requirements
- Support all quality and environmental compliance objectives for assigned projects
- Prepare Capital Project Authorization funding requests
- Administer contracts and manage external resources as required
- Execute projects to fulfill Project Definition requirements
- Provide technical direction to demonstrate new or improved processes or equipment
- Close projects on schedule with completion of all deliverables such as commissioning & qualification reports, turnover of manuals & spare parts, technician training, etc...
- Conduct project core team meetings and steering committee meetings
- Provide regular progress updates summarizing the status of projects
- Develop engineering standards and update facility procedures
- Any other maintenance engineering duties as assigned
- Depending on the assignment, the incumbent may be involved with one or more of the following biopharmaceutical unit operations: large scale upstream cell culture, virus production, and microbial fermentation; downstream recovery and purification involving tangential cross-flow filtration, centrifugation, process chromatography, ultra filtration, and sterile filtration; aseptic formulation, high speed vaccine filling, and freeze-drying; and final product labeling and packaging.
- Throughout the assignment, the incumbent is expected to work in a team atmosphere in close collaboration with various functional groups such as Safety, Quality, Maintenance, Purchasing, Industrial Development, and Manufacturing.
- Project Controlling and General Administrative Support:
- Maintain Maintenance Engineering KPIs such as Overtime Analysis, Spare Parts Inventory, Hot Call Completion, Full Time Contractor Hours, etc...
- Manage and update project schedules in Microsoft Project.
- Coordinate contractor access to the facility and manage contractor badges and HSE training.
- Administer process for generating, distributing, revising, and archiving project documents.
- Perform basic office work including printing, copying, scanning, and filing.
- Willingness to execute multi-discipline assignments and ability to master new skills quickly.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required.
- Experience using AutoCAD and Microsoft Project, Visio, and Access preferred.
- Lean / Six Sigma and manufacturing experience preferred.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Actively pursuing BSin Chemical, Biochemical, or Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- At least one year of degree program completed with a minimum 3.0 grade point average