$21 per hour. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits and generous paid leave.
Catholic Housing Services believes everyone deserves the right to a safe, affordable place to call home. Inspired by this vision, CHS develops, owns and manages affordable housing programs for low-income families and individuals; currently including 2,100 units of housing in 50 different buildings across Western Washington. We provide supportive services for people who have experienced homelessness, low income seniors, farm worker families, and those who have special physical and mental needs.
The Mt Baker Apartments is an eight-story 85-unit historic building in downtown Bellingham providing affordable housing for low-income workers and people on fixed incomes with active commercial businesses located on the street level. The building is part of a group of 4 ‘workforce’ buildings in CHS’s Bellingham region.
Perform a variety of routine janitorial duties, grounds maintenance and general building maintenance tasks. Assist with non-routine preparations on units for new tenants. Assist with maintaining building security systems, immediately reporting problems to the property manager and entering units only as directed by the property manager within CHS guidelines. Seek to provide tenants with a safe, positive and sanitary living environment. Perform these tasks with minimum supervision, applying solid work experience in this area. This position has primary responsibility for the Mt Baker apartments but is also required to assist at the other three Bellingham properties when needed.
- Maintain cleanliness and curb appeal at the property by: sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, stocking supplies, emptying garbage, washing windows, and performing other janitorial duties as assigned.
- Work closely with management on vendor oversight and scheduling.
- Assist with a variety of inspections
- Maintain organized work space and maintenance filling system for tracking repairs, vendors, turn overs, unit maintenance, required permitting, etc.
- Communicate with management on daily maintenance tasks including invoicing, maintenance requests, etc.
- Assist with maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment, which enable maintenance to be completed.
- Organize and maintain SDS file and safety information
- Report any damage or needed repairs to supervisor.
- Regularly lift and carry supplies, donations, furnishings, etc.
- Assist building maintenance team with repairs and special projects as needed.
- Provide timely turnover repairs and cleaning for vacant units to prepare them for the next resident.
- Make needed repairs as requested.
- Complete maintenance request forms and return completed form to management at the end of each working day.
- Take rapid action(s) to solve urgent problems, thereby preventing further damage or harm to building and/or tenant.
- Understand the functions of the fire control, steam, water, and pump systems. Routinely observe these systems to determine that they are working properly.
- Share on-call coverage responsibility for after-hours maintenance emergencies.
- Alert management to non-maintenance concerns.
- Contribute to the mission of Catholic Community Services and Catholic Housing Services
- Provide respectful and constructive interactions with staff, residents, or any other persons while performing duties.
- Attend trainings as requested and required
- Support a positive, team-oriented work environment.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Two years maintenance and/or janitorial experience.
- Working knowledge or ability to learn plumbing, electrical, and lock systems.
- Working knowledge or ability to learn repair of plaster, wall repairs, and painting.
- Willing and able to learn fire control, steam, and pumping systems.
- Experience working independently, prioritizing work tasks, and following through with the completion of the tasks.
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn to use simple software programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English verbally and in writing.
SUBSTITUTE QUALIFICATIONS: (Qualifications that may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
- Certificate of completion from a technical college in general building maintenance.
- Certificate of completion from a technical college in plumbing and electrical systems.
- Experience performing general maintenance tasks at multiple locations.
Experience working with a diverse population in a residential environment.
Experience with customer service.
Experience with computers, including e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheets.