Performs maintenance duties and repairs, such as skilled plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting, sheet rock repair, major appliance repair, refurbishing, and common area cleaning in housing projects designed to provide low-income families, seniors, special users, or other eligible individuals with furnished or unfurnished housing in single or multiunit dwellings.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Efficiently and effectively schedules work order requests, adhering to maintenance priorities. At properties where there is a Maintenance I position, acts as the lead maintenance technician and is ultimately responsible for the completion of work.
- Performs the following duties and repairs: plumbing, irrigation, carpentry, concrete, dry wall, hardware, doors & windows, flooring, cabinetry, painting, electrical, Heating-Venting and Air Conditioning (HVAC), and appliances. And other work such as replacement of broken glass, tile, carpet, screens, garbage disposals, fixtures, appliances, draperies, locks, etc.; paints interior and exterior; performs carpentry work such as fitting doors, freeing windows, replacing and building shelves, sanding and refinishing floors, repair of concrete, masonry, roof, fencing, etc.
- Assists in custodial work/cleaning of common areas, including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, emptying trash, window cleaning, etc. Assists in grounds work and limited extermination services when necessary.
- Identifies and assesses problems and needs and communicates these to Property Manager. Maintains congenial relationships with all residents; is professional and polite; communicates easily with residents using strong interpersonal skills. Is able to handle complaints/adversity with tact and diplomacy. Is understanding of and sensitive to cultural background, economic status, those with special needs, and adheres to Equal Housing Opportunity requirements.
- Participates in an on-call emergency schedule for evening, weekend, and holiday coverage of the property and/or other properties. Maintains knowledge of water, gas meter cutoffs, all building and fixture cutoffs, sewer cleanouts and maps and diagrams of the property.
- Maintains physical security of property.
- Under the general supervision of the Property Manager, maintains inventory of, places monthly orders for, picks up and utilizes materials for maintenance and repair.
- Under the supervision of the Property Manager and/ or Facilities, interacts with vendors and prepares bids for large jobs.
- Periodically inspects building exterior and common areas, performing repairs and janitorial assistance as needed. Assists with scheduled unit inspections. Refurbishes apartments prior to occupancy.
- Maintains accurate records regarding preventative monthly maintenance on all equipment based on manufacturer recommendations or as required by housing regulations or codes.
At properties where there is a Maintenance I position, acts as the lead maintenance technician and directs the work of the Maintenance I and/or Janitor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a maintenance or construction environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Demonstrated experience with preventative and on-going maintenance of a property
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
- Attentive to detail
- Desirable second language skills may vary site by site
- Ability to learn the YARDI maintenance computer program.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have reliable automobile transportation to transport tools, materials and equipment from property to property, and a valid California Driver’s License and insurance.
LANGUAGE, MATH & REASONING SKILLS
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to contribute to routine written reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with residents or employees of organization. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/ or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/ or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate and occasionally loud.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Eden Housing is an equal opportunity employer. Eden Housing does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, disability, familiar status, national origin, or any other arbitrary basis.