Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
CORPORATE - MAINTENANCE
Serving those who serve others. The Maintenance Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to our communities’ most vulnerable by ensuring all residential, office, classroom and other facilities meet all safety and regulatory requirements.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Primary assistant to the Assistant Director, Maintenance, the Maintenance Manager has responsibility for oversight of construction, repair and maintenance operations for the various sites operated by VOALA. All the listed responsibilities shall meet the various local, state and federal requirements for the operation of physical properties under the various programs of VOALA, including the Davis-Bacon Act requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans and executes major repair, maintenance and construction projects, including budget and oversight.
- As directed, oversees bidding for construction and maintenance projects and supplies, supervises vendors and monitors supply contract performance
- Supervises facility maintenance staff; provides leadership, directs work, oversees employee performance and provides staff training
- Directly oversees various facility maintenance repair and maintenance projects, including, but not limited to, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, and other required construction projects
- Identifies and resolves property maintenance and repair issues
- Maintains electronic and hard copy records, including, but not limited to: work orders, supply receipts, and other project related information
- Ensures maintenance and construction project expenses are in compliance with planned costs
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and health and safety regulations
- Other duties as required
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Must have verification of TB clearance at the time of employment issued within 6 months of employment, and it must be renewed each year
- Must have a valid California driver's license with a clean driving record
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- Formal training and/or certification in a Construction Trade (for example: plumbing, electrical, HVAC, masonry, and/or carpentry).
- Minimum of 5 years in building and property repairs and construction, demonstrating strong knowledge of facility systems operation, including electrical, hydraulic and mechanical systems.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervising staff in performance of major property and building maintenance jobs.
- Strong knowledge of building codes and quality aspects of building maintenance and construction.
- Good computer skills: including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of electronic construction management programs
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability in construction trade specialty
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to execute projects from building plans in efficient and cost-effective manner
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid organizational and time management skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Proven ability to get results in a complex, fast paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams in maintenance or repair projects
- Demonstrated ability to instruct junior workers on proper techniques, best practices, and safety
- Demonstrated ability to understand written instructions, work orders, and inspection reports
- Demonstrated ability to inspect and maintain building systems (HVAC, plumbing, safety, et cetera)
- Ability to proficiently use an extensive range of maintenance tools and equipment, specifically those needed for major repairs of apartment complex
- Ability to consistently perform tasks with quality consistent with experience and skills, in a
- professional and timely manner Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Client- focused, Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized, consistent, compassionate, and conflict resolution.
- Experience maintaining shelters, school facilities and other regulated service facilities a major plus.
- Familiar with electronic record-keeping for construction and maintenance projects
- Skilled in continuous improvement in work processes and systems
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.