Job ID: 161590
Ash Grove Cement, a CRH company, provides portland and masonry cements to help build the foundation and infrastructure for the world around us. We ship millions of tons of cement from our plants and network of terminals located across the Midwest, Texas and Western United States. When you work for Ash Grove, you are connecting to something bigger. Join our team and help Ash Grove build America.
This salary exempt position reports to the Plant Manager. The primary function of this position is to provide direction and leadership to the Maintenance Department while ensuring the performance standards are maintained within the facility. This includes optimization of the equipment reliability/productivity, utilization of system capability, implementation of process improvements, reducing plant costs and providing effective leadership for the Maintenance Department.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Establishes, communicates and assigns job responsibilities, goals and performance standards for employees within the Maintenance Department
- Efficiently manage operating budget while focusing upon optimization and reduction of plant costs.
- Serves as safety champion to promote safe behavior and wellness within the maintenance department.
Continually inspects and evaluates mechanical components of the facility and equipment for effectiveness.
Evaluates performance and recommends merit increases and promotions.
Affects job performance through motivation, establishing goals and providing feedback.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other department management regarding maintenance projects and priorities.
- Coordinates with plant management on priorities and schedules for plant projects not necessarily directly related to plant equipment operation.
- Reviews, plans, schedules and supervises all maintenance repairs and preventive maintenance activities for the plant. Responsible for development and execution of major shutdown schedules, real time updates and post shutdown critiques.
- Administers and reviews plant lubrication schedules and modifies as equipment changes or is replaced.
- Responsible for overall maintenance department; manages numerous direct reports including Maintenance Superintendent, Plant Engineer, and Reliability Engineer.
- Recommends equipment modification to plant management.
- Obtains, coordinates and supervises the work of contractors as required for specified repairs.
- Meets with vendors regarding new maintenance equipment and other supplies needed for executing maintenance responsibilities.
- Specifies engineering data and solicits competitive pricing on purchase of major equipment and parts.
- Coordinates with storeroom personnel concerning the amount of supplies and parts needed for maintenance activities.
- Compiles records and data regarding maintenance projects and prepares reports for management on same.
Supervises and directs activities of the plant engineer, maintenance superintendent and purchasing manager.
Ensures that maintenance personnel comply with plant and MSHA safety rules and regulations.
Assists in developing annual budget and implementing the approved budget.
Ensures proper training is conducted for new department employees and existing employees as needed.
Performs other job related duties as needed.
ISO 14001 TRAINING PLAN
The Maintenance Manager must become familiar with and participate in initial and annual training of the ISO 14001 standard.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of all equipment and machinery used in the plant and how each functions. Knowledge of MSHA safety regulations. Extensive knowledge of maintenance techniques and repair procedures on general types of industrial equipment such as pumps, compressors, electric motors, fans, conveyor belts, air conditioning equipment, etc. Knowledge of maintenance techniques and repair procedures for equipment specific to the production of cement such as kilns, ball mills, air separators, pumps (Fuller-Kinyon), etc. Knowledge of procedures for welding operations, tool and dye manufacture, machine shop operations, maintenance mechanical work, steel fabrication, pipe fitting, etc. Design and drafting skills for structural steel, piping, general fabrication and layout of equipment. Knowledge of construction techniques for buildings different types such as concrete block, wood, steel construction, etc. Ability to read and interpret drawings.
- Strong leadership and management skills. Individual must exhibit professional ability to deal with others and to create constructive working relationships and an overall positive working environment. Excellent project management and organizational skills; ability to work well under tight deadlines, assist in the resolution of technical problems, and manage ambiguous information effectively. Self starter and able to take responsibly and initiative upon themselves. Ability to prioritize, schedule, and coordinate multiple activities and delegate activities to the workforce. Must be self confident; make critical decisions on a timely basis; think outside the box and be proactive vs. reactive. Must communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- May require the ability to climb ladders, lift heavy objects weighing up to fifty pounds, enter confined areas, and be exposed to extreme temperatures and dusty environments.
- Use of PC with Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project and Bentley.
- Seven or more years progressive maintenance experience in a cement or industrial manufacturing facility with supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering; P.E. preferred, but not required.
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our career site. Please complete your online profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Ash Grove Cement is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.