The primary purpose of this position is to ensure that the distribution center and its related equipment are working properly. The incumbent is required to perform all tasks in a safe manner consistent with corporate policies and state and federal laws.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The associate is responsible for the functions below, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Remain knowledgeable of the equipment and operating systems in and around the distribution center.
- Properly use and maintain the tools and equipment utilized in the work area; ensure the work and shop areas are clean and organized.
- Perform repair assignments, preventative maintenance, equipment installation, and troubleshooting to minimize the down time of machinery in a specified area of the distribution center. This includes, but is not limited to, basic repairs and maintenance of conveyer systems, forklifts, cranes, turret trucks, and pallet jacks.
- Perform basic electrical, plumbing, and carpentry repairs.
- Replace Material Handling Equipment (MHE) batteries.
- Perform basic repairs to dock doors, dock curtains, and dock hitch assemblies.
- Assist maintenance personnel with special projects and assignments as directed by the lead or supervisor.
- Maintain accurate documentation for work orders.
This position currently has no supervisory responsibilities.
Experience / Requirements
Other Skills, Abilities, and/or Training:
- Committed to providing customer service that makes both internal and external customers feel welcome, important, and appreciated.
- Ability to preserve confidentiality of information.
- Remain positive and supportive to co-workers and management
- Ability to be a self-starter and team player
- Possess a strong focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a variety of tasks/projects.
- Familiarity with industry/warehousing technical terms and processes.
- Possess a good knowledge of, and dexterity to use, a variety of hand and power tools, welding equipment, and shop equipment.
- Operate various types of Material Handling Equipment (MHE) including, but not limited to, forklifts, cranes, pallet jacks, scissor lifts, etc.
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to work within strict time frames and resolute deadlines.
- Ability to work weekends on an occasional basis.
- Ability to work extended days on a frequent basis.
- Ability to work day and evening hours.
Other criteria would include:
- Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Must furnish your own tools to complete preventative maintenance and associated assignments
- Valid driver’s license
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check and pass a drug test.
- Minimum age of 18 years old due to the work environment.
Physical Demands of Position:
To successfully perform the essential functions of this job, associates are required to do the following activities:
Regularly required to do the following activities
- Stand dynamically for long periods without a break.
- Walk about.
- Use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel; the ability to type, pick, pinch with fingers, seize, hold, grasp or turn with hands, and perceive attributes of objects and materials, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture, by touching with fingertips.
- Maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running.
- Twist upper torso.
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
- Reach up and out with hands and arms.
- Lift up to ten (10) pounds and carry a distance of one hundred (100) feet.
Frequently required to do the following activities:
- Stand statically for long periods without a break.
- Talk and hear; verbally express ideas and impart information or instructions.
- Climb stairs and/or ladders.
Occasionally required to do the following activities:
- Lift up to fifty (50) pounds and carry a distance of fifty (50) feet.
- Push and/or pull up to ten (10) pounds a distance of one hundred (100) feet.
Rarely required to do the following activities:
- Remain seated/standing in a normal position for long periods.
- Lift up to one hundred (100) pounds and carry a distance of ten (10) feet.
- Push and/or pull up to one hundred (100) pounds a distance of ten (10) feet.
Specific vision abilities required for this job include:
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less).
- Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more).
- Color vision and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Peripheral vision.
- Depth perception and the ability to judge distances and spatial relationships.
- Adjustable focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. The associate is:
Regularly exposed to:
- Work near moving mechanical parts.
- Indoor conditions with a loud noise level.
- Outdoor weather conditions
Frequently exposed to:
- Wet or humid conditions.
- Work in high, precarious places.
Occasionally exposed to:
- Fumes or airborne particles.
- Extreme Heat/Cold (non-weather).
- Risk of electrical shock.
Rarely exposed to:
- Toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Slippery surfaces.
- Confined spaces.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), plus one (1) year of experience in industrial maintenance; or equivalent combination of education and experience.