Title: Malaria Serology Lab Manager
Job Location: Silver Spring, MD
Odyssey Systems is seeking a Malaria Serology Lab Manager to support the Malaria Vaccine Research program for the Malaria Vaccine Program at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research to conduct an analysis of samples from preclinical and clinical studies to test and evaluate the immunogenicity and efficacy of malaria vaccine candidates.
*** This is a forecasted position and it is contingent upon contract award. ***
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is an innovative small business committed to providing world-class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages, through implementation, and into operations and support.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Oversee all operational aspects of the MSL, not limited to, but including ordering laboratory supplies, and equipment, maintaining accurate freezer inventory at on and offsite locations along with specimen retrieval at offsite location.
- Assist in assay development
- Ensure smooth daily workflow by assigning tasks to oversee completion of sample analysis by technicians;
- Perform data analysis when instructed by the principal investigator
- Ensure sample and supply inventories are maintained and stocked, to include management of the Malaria Vaccine Branch’s 21 CFR, Part 11 compliant electronic freezer inventory database;
- Maintain a safe work environment at all times, ensuring all contractor employees are fully trained on safety measures and procedures.
- It may be necessary for the contractor to travel off-site to perform functions related to the offsite freezer farm. These duties may include but are not limited to processing and storage of specimen collections and/or retrieval of the specimen, while maintaining accurate documentation of offsite freezer inventory.
- Perform work closely with other Government and Contractor personnel to plan, develop, and gain the approval of such human and animal use protocols as are required for the performance of this task;
- Perform and develop serological assays to evaluate vaccine-induced responses and report results, statistics and graphical presentations; and
- Maintain and operate Government-owned equipment (ELISA plate washers and readers, BIAcore affinity measurement equipment (such as the Attana), flow cytometers, cell counters, cell sorters, array reader, microfluidizer, fermentor, centrifuges, imaging systems, microscopes).
- Work to sustain a high degree of assay consistency and reproducibility of data by checking all data integrity, developing formal SOPs and ensuring adherence to GCLP standards and Federal guidelines;
- Monitor training requirements of all MSL staff and develop validation and qualification plans for assays;
- Troubleshoot and further expand laboratory capabilities. This includes but is not limited to ELISA, Softmax Pro GXP Avidity, IFA, Luminex, and Biosensor technology.
- BS in biological life sciences discipline
- 2+ years of experience
- Knowledge of laboratory and immunological assay development. and molecular, biochemical, parasitological and immunological assays (in particular, the host humoral immune response and host-parasite immune interactions).
- Knowledge of laboratory management, supplies ordering/procurement with training and use of the Defense Medical Logistics Standard Support (DMLSS), Electronic Centralized Acquisition Tool (ECAT), and Medical Master Catalog (MMC) system
- Experience designing and validating parameters for ELISA assay development and testing
- Familiarity with Softmax Pro/GxP, Spectramax 340PC use and maintenance, BioTek ELx405 and LS use and maintenance, 21 CFR Part 11 compliant database system, Datatron systems training.
- MS in biological life sciences discipline
- GCLP, GLP certifications
- US Citizenship required
- National Agency Clearance and Inquiries (NACI)
- Travel may be required
Availability of positions is contingent upon contract award.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Gym Memberships
- Paid Holidays
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- On Site Cafeteria
- Paid sick days
- Life Insurance
- Military Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Professional Development