ASTM International is a globally recognized leader in the development and delivery of international voluntary consensus standards. Today, some 12,000 ASTM standards are used around the world to improve product quality, enhance safety, facilitate market access and trade, and build consumer confidence.
ASTM provides an excellent compensation and benefits package including:
- Undergraduate and Graduate Tuition Reimbursement
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
- 403(b) plan with company match
- 100% company-funded defined benefits pension plan
The Manager, Accounting & Financial Services is responsible for managing key facets of the Accounting & Financial Services department. This position interacts with internal departments and provides an important service role to the organization.
This is a management role within the ASTM leadership structure. The Manager of the Accounting & Financial Services Department reports to the Financial Controller.
Manages Tax Filings
- Responsible for the timely annual filing of the Federal Income Tax and the PA Bureau of Charitable Organization (990; 990T; BCO filings) for ASTM International and any necessary filings for ASTM International LLC and ASTM International EU LLC.
- Work with outside tax consultants and prepare/review all required supporting schedules to tax forms.
- Verify accuracy and timeliness of all other governmental filings, including but not limited to 1042’s, W-2’s, 1099’s, etc.
- Assist with State Sales Tax and Canadian HST/GST returns as needed.
- Research new nexus issues and work to ensure registration with required municipalities.
- Assist with State Escheat Filings as needed.
- Understand the tax rules in place in our Vertex system and related modules. Verify the accuracy and correctness of rules as changes are made in municipalities and/or customers contact us with questions.
- Ensure compliance of all international governmental or regulatory agency filings, including but not limited to Canadian and UK annual filings.
- Research tax implications of future and/or new products/sales domestically and internationally.
Develops Policies and Workflows
- Develop and revise accounting policies and procedures relating to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Tax/Governmental related filings. Responsible for the organization’s compliance with all tax and governmental requirements.
- Ensure all accounts payable vouchers/entries are accurate and appropriate prior to checks/ACH payments being processed/released.
- Manage change control processes.
- Manage Customer expectations.
- Provides spirited positive leadership of systems projects.
- Challenge obsolete practices, questions accepted truths
Supervises Accounting Staff
- Assist Financial Controller in management and hiring and training of accounting staff.
- Ensure that all Accounting staff procedures are current and maintained electronically in compliance with Business Continuity requirements.
Provides Accounting and Business Systems Support
- Be primary accounting liaison with IT.
- Recommends new and revised IT systems and procedures
- Research and document existing workflows and systems and makes recommendations where improvements could be made.
- Understand how solutions will impact present and future business needs.
- Perform analysis and develop other managerial accounting reports to assist business leaders in managing their business lines.
- Coordinates, tests and reviews new IT systems or revisions prior to implementation, and help develop user training and procedures.
- Act as liaison with outside entities including, but not limited to, public accounting firms, tax consultants, collection agencies, and banks as necessary. Ensure they deliver services as needed.
- Perform Financial Controller’s duties, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- At least 5-8 years of experience with Not-For-Profit accounting processes and tax filings (990, 990T, BCO, etc.) required.
- Supervisory/Manager experience.
Preferred Qualifications & Competencies
- Experience with international tax related issues.
- Advanced business degree
- Certification (CPA)
- Proven accomplishment in project management, including budgeting and resource allocation.
- Knowledge of information technology concepts and computer systems as related to accounting, financial management and business operations.
- Experience with Oracle/EBS and Vertex Tax Systems
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, interpersonal, listening) with ability to prepare and deliver presentations to executive positions.
- Ability to lead and get projects finished on time and on budget.
This job description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of related job activities. Associates may be requested by management to perform other related activities in place of or in addition to those representative activities noted in this job description.
ASTM International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.