Manager, Bakery - Sanitation
Swedesboro, NJ, US, 08085
ARYZTA is a global baking company with a Passion for Good Food. We provide our retail and foodservice customers with a portfolio of bakery solutions so they can deliver memorable, delicious food to consumers. With operations in the United States, Canada, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, ARYZTA has become a global leader in the baked goods industry and one of the largest specialty bakery companies in the world. Our leading bakery brands in North America include La Brea Bakery®, Otis Spunkmeyer®, and Oakrun Farm Bakery®. We have 58 state-of-the-art bakeries and kitchens around the globe, with 20 of those in North America, and are committed to driving innovation, predicting upcoming consumer trends and flavors, and exceeding our customers’ expectations. The Americas team champions the values of Integrity, Ownership, Customer Focus, Creativity and Care to help us deliver on People Safety, Food Safety, Quality and Collaboration.
Oversees bakery and production equipment cleaning, micro program, chemical handling, pest control, and building and grounds inspections and upkeep. Develops and sustains program which focus on safety and cleanliness standards compliance. Supports company goals, processes and procedures to ensure highest quality breads are produced in a thoroughly clean bakery environment.
Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals. Provides guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established company policies. Recommends changes to policies and establishes procedures that affect immediate organization. Acts as advisor to subordinates to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems. Develops and administers schedules, performance requirements; has budget responsibilities. Manages coordination of activities of a department with responsibility for results including costs, methods and staffing.
Provides supervision to exempt and/or non-exempt employees.
- Develop and implement the Bakery sanitation program incorporating corporate, third party and customer guidelines and procedures that ensures the highest quality breads are produced in a thoroughly cleaned bakery environment
- Responsible for understanding and complying with Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards (i.e. BRC, SQF)
- Responsible for implementation of microbiological program
- Develop and implement log and inspection procedures, records, and reports to ensure that tasks are performed to expectations, documented and validated
- Develop and monitor sanitation budget and expenditures
- Ensure Bakery is audit ready at all times
- Research and implement new and/or more efficient methods of cleaning that will benefit bakery sanitation efforts and company goals
- Develop and oversee partnerships with vendors and contractors
- Personnel Management
- Hire, train, coach, and manage sanitation team
- Measure employee and team performance
- Review and approve timecards reports
- Set forth standards for safety
- Ensure accident/loss prevention and security policies are followed
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises up to 35 sanitation employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Perform other duties as required
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; uses feedback to modify designs; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; coordinates projects; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming others; maintains confidentiality; remains open to others' ideas and tries new ideas; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; gives authority to work independently; provides recognition for results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; inspires respect and trust; accepts feedback from others; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; gives appropriate recognition to others; displays passion and optimism; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Directly supervises employees in the Sanitation department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education, Technical Qualifications, Experience and Competencies Proficiency Level
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university
- Knowledge of HACCP required.
- Math Ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in an automated food processing plant.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, operating and maintenance instructions, and governmental regulations. Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from employees, managers, clients.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word processing software; Excel spreadsheet software and Outlook email software.
- Working knowledge of Spanish preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be standing or walking approximately 40% of the time, including occasional walking on uneven ground. The employee is occasionally required to smell. Frequent flexing, extending and turning of the neck and head are required.
- This position requires employee to have adequate communicating and observational skills, including seeing, speaking and hearing, due to the operation of various types of moving equipment used in the bakery. These requirements are for the safety of the employee and co-workers. These requirements are also necessary for collecting and distributing information to staff, and communicating with co-workers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather). The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat or cold (non-weather), and to rapid changes in temperature. The employee must be able to tolerate a work environment that contains flour dust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can get loud.
ARYZTA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.