Location: New York, NY
The Manager of Database Administration oversees and provides hands-on 24x7 day-to-day operations of SiriusXM's MS SQL Database environment. They will be responsible for database design, engineering, implementation and operational support. This position is the top-level technical expert in MS SQL database engineering and operations within Information Technology.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Leads the assigned team to ensure that all associated database environments are current, reliable, tuned and accessible in accordance with service level agreements
* Coordinates the Database Administration team and vendors assigned to gather, analyze and report upon performance metrics and root cause analysis of any issues pertaining to any databases assigned to team.
* Assists the Senior Management teams with developing and coordinating the implementation of work flow activities within our Service Support and Delivery Architecture.
* Recommends standards for enterprise applications/integration development and hosting across the corporation, including recommendations on development standards and approaches, security, automation, content management, configuration control, testing, rollout, and training.
* Ensure consistent platform/service availability for responsible databases systems and associated infrastructure hosted on-premise and in the cloud across all key technologies.
* Install, maintain and secure enterprise databases platforms both on-premise and in the cloud.
* Deploy automation technologies and procedures to support on-premise and cloud-based databases and applications. Drive operational efficiencies by automating and improving existing repetitive and manual processes.
* Identify collect, monitor, analyze and report upon platform performance data to improve platform performance, availability and capacity management.
* Provide consulting to internal customers (e.g. developers, project management, other technology providers) to assist with complex platform-related architecture, implementation and operational support issues.
* Under general supervision, manage and lead database infrastructure projects related to installation and upgrades of the SiriusXM technology environment.
* Monitor and executes data backups, data replication tasks across various platforms to ensure data recoverability, fault tolerance and disaster recovery efforts.
* Evaluate and recommend new technologies and processes to meet our project responsibilities and for on-going operational support of our technology environment.
* Provide 24*7 On call support based on rotation within the team, including answering off-hour support pages consistently within 30 minutes and with engaged response within one hour when on-call to ensure continuity of operations within the environment.
* Perform other duties as required and assigned.
This position supervises a team of Database engineers to manage a primarily MS SQL database environment.
* Bachelor's degree in a Computer Science related area or equivalent experience
* Minimum 10 years of working experience as a MS SQL Server DBA or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Minimum 10 years of hand-on experiences in database technology, design, implementation and management.
* Minimum 3 years of MS SQL management experience
* Excellent communication skills
Requirements and General Skills:
* Ability to ensure accuracy and completeness of data in master files and various support tools such as base dictionaries.
* While the primary focus of the position will be Microsoft SQL, candidates with other database experience, including, Postgres, MongoDB and cloud-based serverless database technologies are preferred.
* Ability to draw up requirements for drafting multi-tiered SLAs (both internal and 3rd party support)
* Support 24x7 environment and ability to be available 24x7, as required, to support the availability and uptime requirements of the business.
* Ability to organize and work on multiple projects concurrently, often under strict time constraints.
* Excellent organizational skills and detail orientation allowing for effective multitasking.
* Must have legal right to work in the U.S.
* Excellent communication skills and interfaces well with others, including executives, and be well versed in dealing with staff that is both technical and non-technical.
* Strong problem solving and root cause analysis.
* Ability to work in a team environment or as an individual contributor.
Expert level knowledge in Microsoft Database Systems Engineering. Preference given to candidates with background in other SQL and NOSQL based database platforms.
SiriusXM is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, pregnancy, military or veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
The requirements and duties described above may be modified or waived by the Company in its sole discretion without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled