The Hartford Courant is hiring an Events/Hartford Magazine Manager. This position has strategic oversight of all aspects of the events and magazine business for the Hartford Courant Media Group with a focus on revenue and profitability, delivering high quality events and content.
This position leads the Events and Magazine team with a focus on profitability and revenue attainment; working cross departmentally with Advertising, Marketing, News/Editorial and Operations. Responsible for driving events revenue through event production, sales, and sponsorship. Manages a team to develop, execute, and promote signature events, custom client events, and additional event management contracts. This position is responsible for the business operation of Hartford Magazine which includes advertising, marketing, sales and circulation.
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team oriented work environment
- Competitive base salary plus incentive plan
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K, and an unlimited flex time off policy!
- Paid and ongoing sales and digital training
We are looking for a high-energy, self-motivated, aggressive and organized individual to join our multimedia sales & advertising team.
- Produce revenue generating and content driven events that align with business objectives.
- Create and execute annual and long term strategy and budget plans to grow event business.
- Work with Events team to develop and implement a deep portfolio of events including, but not limited to consumer expos, community and cultural events, celebrations, B2B events, client driven programming and activations.
- Manage the sales, marketing, and logistical execution of all events.
- Conceptualize, manage and implement strategies for event sales and sponsorship.
- Work closely with Advertising to ensure awareness of event opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Partner with News/Editorial to integrate content into event programming where applicable.
- Oversee timely delivery of projects and materials ensuring fiscally responsible development and execution, with appropriate accountability and oversight of Events team on all projects.
- Management of direct reports to ensure daily responsibilities achieve the highest level of efficiencies and productivity.
- Responsible for achieving revenue goals and operating cash flow objectives monthly and annually.
- Participates in and over-sees sales, marketing and advertising for Hartford Magazine. This includes directing advertising sales, launching new campaigns and directing marketing programs.
- Working with sales team to retain revenue from existing accounts, as well as generating additional revenue streams by pursuing new business opportunities.
- Partner with the marketing and circulation departments to develop creative marketing plans and distribution strategies.
- In partnership with sales, meets with new and existing clients, negotiates contracts.
- Drives initiative to identify, target and achieve new business opportunities.
- Work closely with the News/Editorial department on the development of content ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business (Marketing, Communications, Journalism or Advertising concentration preferred) or equivalent events/magazine experience (minimum 5-7 years).
- Demonstrated success in meeting revenue generation.
- Strong ability to understand and partner with other departments and leaders including Advertising, News and Marketing.
- Knowledge of and acceptance of Tribune Publishing and The Hartford Courant’s mission and strategy.
- Senior leadership experience in conceptualizing and producing events.
- Full spectrum of event management capabilities from strategy to execution.
- Ability to become proficient in new technologies to efficiently manage business processes.
- Successful relationship-building skills.
- Excellent analytical, written, oral, communication, written and presentation skills.
- Self-starter, possess high energy, solid presentation, creative and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task with strong time and project management skills.
- Creative flair and enthusiasm.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Requires a valid driver’s license
- Requires ability to travel in the region for business calls and industry conferences (approx. 10% of time).
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Reports to VP Advertising. Directly supervises events producers, events sales and magazine sales staff. Interacts daily with supervisor and staff; often with PEIC and with other departments in the company including advertising, marketing, news/editorial and operations. Managing own time and directing his or herself with minimal supervision most of the day.
Directly supervise up to 7 employees.
The Hartford Courant is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.