Under the direction of the Department Director supervises, manages and performs quality, clinical safety, and infection prevention activities. The Infection Prevention Manager functions as the facility Infection Control Officer and, in conjunction with the Medical Chairperson of the Infection Control Performance Subcommittee and Infection Preventionists, coordinates the surveillance, prevention and control of infectious disease in the hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Supervised the delegation of assignments to Infection Control staff to assure competency, accuracy, and timeliness of work.
- Provides coverage in the Director's absence including supervision of all staff.
- Performs personnel functions including interviewing, counseling, evaluations, and disciplinary actions as assigned.
- May assist Director with budgetary and FTE management issues of department.
- Program Management Responsibilities
- Provides evidence based information/literature to meet the informational and educational needs of the healthcare district staff, physicians, and community for infection control practices.
- Oversees collection of healthcare associated (nosocomial) infection data through appropriate informational systems of the hospital.
- Monitors effects of intervention strategies on the infection rates.
- Oversees focused, incident and surveillance studies when appropriate.
- Serves as a member of the Infection Control Performance Subcommittee overseeing the preparation of reports and providing agenda information to Medical Staff Services.
- Works as liaison with public health officials and community agencies and oversees compliance with regulatory standards related to Infection Control.
- Works collaboratively with the laboratory regarding microbiology and serology regarding issues related to infection control.
- Reviews hospital-wide departmental infection control policies and procedures as needed, but no less than every 3 years.
- Provides input into sterilization, sanitizing, disinfection and cleaning procedures and their agents.
- Provides input into the linen and waste management programs.
- Acts as consultant to the Environment of Care and Employee Health Programs.
- Conducts Infection Control Risk Assessments for Construction projects.
- Provides consultation to Construction design or project monitoring as needed.
- Provides input into New Product analysis and acquisition. 15. Provides timely reports on the effectiveness of the Infection Prevention and
- Control Program to the Director of Quality, Clinical Safety and Infection Control.
- Provides coverage in the absence of the Department Director.
- Has authority to implement any necessary control measures in the event of an outbreak.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Best practices in infection prevention and control and improved patient care.
Working knowledge of MS Office Suite, including Outlook.
Proficiency in the scientific method.
Skilled in transferring concepts into practical application.
Skilled in reading, analyzing and interpreting common scientific and technical journals and understanding regulatory requirements.
Skills in personnel management through coordination and cooperation.
Excellent problem-solving, time management and organizational skills.
Skills to prepare complete, clear reports and recommendations after appropriate analyses of relevant and reliable information.
Excellent oral and written communication skill.
Ability to prepare spreadsheets, graphs, charts, and PowerPoint Presentations.
Ability to define problems by collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions.
Ability to follow direction and accept and utilize constructive criticism.
Ability to organize and handle multiple activities.
Ability to learn, lead, train, educate, direct, plan, coordinate and implement new policies, procedures and programs.
AVH Values: All AVH employees will effectively demonstrate these values:
- Patients Come First – We listen actively and communicate with our patients and families, placing safety as a top priority.
- Accountability & Ownership – We fully complete tasks, are transparent, effectively communicate, and recognize that what we do reflects on us.
- Teamwork – We build trusting relationships, promote a sense of community, and are respectful of everyone. Success is about the whole team.
- Integrity & Honesty – We tell the truth at all times, speak up when something is wrong, and do the right thing when no one is looking.
- Excellence – We take pride in our work, are goal-oriented, and on a never-ending quest for top tier quality.
- Initiative & Innovation – Our can-do attitudes, creativity, and resourcefulness empower us to improve the patient’s experience, solve our own problems, make timely decisions, and look for opportunities to add value.
- Tenderness & Compassion – We have genuine empathy, show kindness, and encourage and advocate for each other.
Management Competencies: All AVH management (Supervisor, Manager, and Assistant Director) will effectively demonstrate these behaviors:
Timely Decision Making
Fairness to Direct Reports
Hiring & Staffing
Developing Direct Reports
Education and Experience:
Required Licensure and/or Certifications:
Registered Nurse, licensed to practice in the State of California.
Certification in Infection Control via APIC, Board of Infection Control, or other accrediting body.
- BLS certification
AVH Conduct/Compliance Expectations:
Ability to adhere with AVH Leaves of Absence Policy
Ability to adhere with AVH Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy
Ability to adhere with AVH Recording of Hours Worked Policy
Ability to adhere to the department dress code
Ability to organize work and establish priorities
Ability to expand on own initiative in performance of duties
Skill and ability to follow the telephone etiquette/standards
Conforms to AVH Standards of Excellence
Ability to function effectively under pressure and meet time parameters
Ability to communicate effectively while maintaining good working relationships with co-workers, managers and other hospital staff
Ability to adhere to the normal standards of courtesy and conduct as defined under the rules of hospitality at AVH
Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patient, hospital and department information
Ability to adhere to safety rules and regulations
Safely and effectively uses all equipment necessary to carry out duties
Ability to interpret and function under hospital and department policies and procedures
Conforms with required and appropriate JCAHO requirements
Conforms with and supports hospital quality assurance and improvement guidelines
Ability to participate effectively in department and hospital staff education
Display a willingness to work as a team player
Ability to give and support the highest level of patient/customer satisfaction at all times
Supports and adheres to the values and mission statement established by the AVH Board of Directors
Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the Compliance & Integrity Program and its established policies.
- Ability to follow the Code of Conduct
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Work is performed in a busy office environment and throughout all units of the hospital environment.
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Employee Health Department.