The nurse manager has 24 hour accountability and responsibility for a direct care unit or units. The manager is responsible for creating safe, healthy environments that support the work of the health care team and contribute to patient engagement. The manager assists in creating a professional environment where team members are able to contribute to optimal patient outcomes and grow professionally.
- Assumes responsibility for operational and capital budget development, monitoring, analysis, and variance reporting.
- Effectively utilizes tools provided for financial, quality, and staffing monitoring and management.
- Remains knowledgeable of Human Resource labor laws including those pertinent to hiring, FMLA, short and long term disability, etc.
- Complies with Human Resources policies, procedures and processes in regard to recruitment, interviewing, hiring, orientation, retention and performance management.
- Assumes accountability for the orientation plans of new employees and the annual competency plans for staff; aligns plans with unit goals and desired outcomes.
- Creates overall plan and goals for department orientation plans as needed to assure successful integration of the employee into the organization.
- Utilizes available tools and data to measure and monitor performance related to quality of care, patient safety, and patient satisfaction; including but not limited to Key Performance Indicators
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Master’s Degree Required; qualified candidates with a Bachelor’s degree are eligible but must submit an action plan
Upon hire. Master’s to be completed within 3 years.
Completion of basic UPHDM Leadership courses within one year.
Two or more years of progressing leadership positions in the healthcare environment.
Current Iowa License to practice as a Registered Nurse
BCLS within 90 days
Valid driver’s license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Certification in related specialty preferred.
Must be able to communicate effectively with people of diverse professional educational and lifestyle backgrounds.
Knowledge of basic computer skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.