BRG seeks a full-time, experienced Manager of General Ledger, based in Dallas. BRG’s accounting function has historically been based in its east San Francisco Bay headquarters of Emeryville. This role will be a “start-up” position, responsible for the development of an additional accounting hub in the Dallas region to support BRG’s continuing growth. The successful candidate will both be able to provide leadership for the Dallas-based accounting team and for the General Ledger function (particularly in building out new roles and GL processes), while also working as part of the integrated global Controllership function and the team under the leadership of the Emeryville Controller, including developing a shared-staffing model with the Emeryville team as required.
The candidate must be very flexible and highly committed to quality, customer service, teamwork and supporting Firm and department goals in a fast-paced environment. We are seeking a professional with solid communication, technology, organizational and analytical skills.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
Core General Ledger Accounting
- Manage and perform core accounting transactions including cash, prepaid, fixed assets, accrued liabilities, accounts payable, deferred rent, etc.
- Develop appropriate procedures with Corporate staff departments to collect timely information for accrual purposes
- Review Corporate overhead accounts (SG&A) to ensure activities have been captured appropriately and timely, work with FP&A team to ensure appropriate classification and monitor budget variances
- Manage the completion and review of assigned account reconciliations and resolve identified issues
- Manage the overall Controllers account reconciliation process through the administration of and reporting through the Blackline account reconciliation tool
- Develop an appropriate understanding of current work activities in order to create a clerical accounting role in support of core ledger and other Controllership activities, thus creating more bandwidth for experienced accounting personnel. Key short term deliverable to include automation of cash account reconciliation activities
Monthly Accounting Close Management
- Develop and communicate the monthly closing calendar in concert with Controller leadership team through the administration of and reporting through the Blackline task manager tool
- Monitor daily progress during close and report bottlenecks, assist in resolution to adhere to required deadlines
- Review monthly close performance and communicate bottlenecks/progress in a routine and systematic way, to the Controllership function, in order to assist in identifying improvements within the broader team, and implementing those with the General Ledger function
Financial Systems, Processes and Controls
- Manage the system administration of the Blackline software product, currently being used for Account Reconciliation and Task Management (close process tracking) and in development for Transaction Matching (to be used for cash account reconciliation). Administration includes managing software updates, updating chart of accounts, assigning roles and responsibilities, communicating with users, and time tracking and reporting of monthly activities.
- Manage the administration of the Elite general ledger module to include maintenance activities, chart of account, and hierarchy additions/changes and execution of monthly processing. Work with Data Analytics team on functionality needs and other system-related requirements in support of the business processes
- Leverage business knowledge and expertise to analyze the business process lifecycles, metrics, and key performance indicators to identify opportunities to improve operational efficiency and controls through further process redesign and automation
- Develop appropriate written procedures with a clear understanding of maintaining an appropriate internal control environment
- Prepare written goals and objectives for departmental activities and translate these into successful plans of action for self and team members. During Dallas, a start-up will develop and provide routine status reporting in support of 30-60-90 day action plans
- Evaluate the performance of staff by establishing objectives and providing constructive feedback on a regular basis
- Demonstrate effective problem-solving and action-planning skills to improve internal and external operations
- Participate with the Controllers management team in rolling out new processes, debottlenecking day to day activities and supporting overall close acceleration strategy
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required CPA preferred. Must possess strong accounting skills and the ability to research and understand new accounting transactions
- Minimum ten (10+) years general accounting experience with at least five years at the management/supervisory level
- Experience in hiring and mentoring accounting personnel and involvement in organizational design or re-design to improve productivity
- Advanced knowledge of Excel required and experience with management/administration of general ledger systems and applications
- Significant experience with Blackline (Acct Recs/ Task Manager and Transaction Matching modules) experience a must
- Exposure to Elite 3E a plus. Exposure to systems development – including implementations, upgrades in the G/L environment desirable
- A highly collaborative team player
- Strong managerial presence and professional image. Ability to initiate process improvements and multi-task
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organizational skills, follow-up skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Committed to quality customer service (internal and external)
- Consistent attendance and reliability
- Does not require sponsorship now or anytime in the future to work in the United States
Berkeley Research Group (BRG) provides independent expert testimony, advisory services, and data analytics to major law firms, Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and regulatory bodies around the world. BRG experts provide sophisticated economic, financial, and analytical advice across a wide range of disciplines including antitrust and competition policy, complex damages, finance, healthcare, intellectual property, valuation, and workforce issues. In addition, the firm consults with clients in major industry sectors with compliance, business process improvement, and strategy consulting.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)See job description