Are you an Information Technology professional looking for a fast-paced, challenging and transformational environment, where you can make a difference? Smithfield Foods, one of the country’s top consumer packaged goods companies, is looking for you! Our Information Technology and Transformation (IT&T) team is searching for focused and driven candidates who are excited about communicating new ideas and delivering first-class technical solutions to meet the demands of a growing business. We foster a culture that values everyone’s creativity, our environment and the communities in which we live.
The Manager of Technology Vendor Management is responsible for all technology and IT vendors for Smithfield Foods across all North America. This role will manage a team and be the primary resource responsible for a combination of IT vendor contract, purchasing, performance relationship and risk management. It will own and must understand contractual, commercial and operational working relationships with vendors to ensure effective delivery of committed goods and services.
This position will require significant collaboration with cross domain technology leaders at Smithfield including partnering with Smithfield’s Legal and Strategic Sourcing functions. In partnership with Strategic Sourcing, this position will support negotiations with indirect suppliers in order to minimize risk and maximize value in the acquisition of SaaS, software, hardware, telecommunications, cloud, and related professional services. It will have co-ownership of the end-to-end sourcing process; from strategy development through contract signature.
- Manages, provides leadership and sets the strategic direction, mission and vision of the vendor management office (VMO) or vendor management capability in alignment with the strategic and operational objectives of the technology organization and the business.
- Establishes contract management objectives, procedures, templates and workflow processes for the procurement lifecycle.
- Works alongside colleagues to assist with developing statements of work (SOWs) and understands any current requests for information (RFIs), requests for quotations (RFQs) and requests for proposal (RFPs) that are in the pipeline.
- Manages commercial and financial arrangements with vendors to include billing, invoicing, performance incentives and remedies.
- Develops strong relationships with IT managers, business owners, Legal and Strategic Sourcing to help support enterprise objectives, influence key stakeholders and jointly develop strategic sourcing strategies.
- Understands relevant market trends and vendors. Tracks, gathers and analyzes market and industry data.
- Manages contract review meetings to ensure delivery against objectives and contract budgets. Develops regular reports on contract milestones, execution and risk, and inform internal customers, vendors and management of activities and progress through regular written and verbal communication.
- Works closely with Enterprise Solutions Architecture, Business Services and Emerging Technology functional areas with IT&T.
- Recommends and implements IT specific sourcing methodologies and processes. Develops and executes well defined IT procurement specific strategies as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains an IT Procurement Policy focused on standardization while leveraging Smithfield’s global IT spend.
- Manages IT procurement team to optimize the cost-effectiveness of negotiations and ensure compliance of negotiated agreements to established vendor management policies and practices (such as articulation of service levels and deliverables, etc.).
- Provides training and resources for IT&T employees who are charged with executing vendor management activities.
- Establishes governance to be applied, particularly during the contracting process. This will identify and limit points of contact for vendors and clarify rights of authority for decision making.
- Develops a knowledge base of negotiating strategies, best practices, and negotiation personnel and teams. Makes improvements to processes, procedures, workflow and organizational structures for contract management.
- Effectively communicates a clear and concise contract overview (summary of key contract terms, risks, opportunities and service delivery guidelines) to key stakeholders, and provide clarity on contract elements when required.
- Manages the maintenance of agreements with vendors and ensures that they are current/up to date and compliant with relevant laws and regulations.
- Manages the creation and maintenance of a repository of vendors in a contract management database or similar solution to track key dates (expirations, renewals) and assess demand.
- Classifies and rationalizes the vendor portfolio so that focus can be applied to the most strategically important vendor relationships/engagements.
- Maintains an inventory of vendor spend in collaboration with IT&T finance and Strategic Souring by category (software, hardware, telecom, staff augmentation, services), cost center and region.
- Works with Legal representatives to develop and insert appropriate legal protections in contracts.
- Serves as the leadership-level point of contact between the vendor organization and internal customers consuming vendor services and solutions.
- Establishes and/or approves internal and external policies, standards and processes for vendor interaction.
- Manages vendor relationships as the key point of contact between specified vendors and the business.
- Serves as a point of escalation for vendor issues and disputes, and drives those issues to resolution.
- Manages the communication process with vendors, including what information should be communicated, when and by whom, to ensure that appropriate leverage is preserved.
- Develops a structured vendor performance management framework to implement consistency across IT vendor portfolio and aligns with business objectives to deliver results.
- Oversees the measurement and reporting of vendor performance, including the development of evaluation tools based on constituent requirements, and the creation of scorecards and dashboards that will accurately present this data.
- Ensures that the metrics used to evaluate performance are properly tied to business outcomes and bias-free, and that the associated communications around these metrics are clear.
- Manages the collection, consolidation and communication of reporting and data on vendor contracts, performance, risk and relationships to key stakeholders and vendors.
- Partners with other areas of the business (procurement, finance) to track and report on vendor financial viability, business continuity, and corporate and regulatory compliance.
- Provides oversight to vendor audits where required; arrange and direct departmental activities and schedules.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in business, computer science or a related field and 5+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) or other advanced degree is desirable.
- Minimum 5+ of experience in IT vendor management and negotiating and managing contract life cycles, with an emphasis on technology or IT service agreements.
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Knowledge of best practices for IT contract negotiation tactics and strategies. Desired professional qualifications may include:
- Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS)
- Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM)
- Certified Technology Procurement Executive (CTPE)
- Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA)
- Proven experience in successfully leading a team in the management of vendors/third parties, including, but not limited to, policies, performance, vendor risk, relationships, contracts (including negotiations), and issue and dispute resolution.
- Knowledge of procurement and vendor management practices and certifications (CIPS, ITIL and COBIT).
- Knowledge of contracting trends, licensing models, and traditional and emerging contract and vendor performance models.
- Strong project and process management skills, with the ability to handle multiple vendors and multiple contracts, as well as a wide range of tasks.
- Ability to understand contract risks and to work with other parts of the organization in crafting tactics and strategies for risk mitigation.
- Ability to structure bids, evaluate bids against a broad set of evaluation criteria and provide recommendations for vendor selection.
- Strong ability to communicate with IT users, legal and procurement staff, and business leaders to craft contracts that align complex needs with contractual requirements to achieve business outcomes.
- Strong relationship and interpersonal skills to be applied in working with vendors across the entire contract life cycle.
- Ability to create a customer-focused, service-based approach to working with stakeholders and vendors that emphasizes the creation and cultivation of cross-organizational relationships.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate change to drive continuous improvement in the process of contract management and incorporate contract management trends.
- Broad knowledge of the IT industry and the products and services provided by technology vendors
- Familiarity with relevant regulatory and industry requirements.
- Solid grasp of financial concepts, such as depreciation schedules, dollar costing and total cost of ownership.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and multiple project deliverables.
- Highly self-motivated and directedHighly self-motivated and adaptive.
- Up to 25% travel required.
- This role will have direct supervisory responsibilities for a team of IT professionals with varying experience levels and expertise.
- Develop organizational design and functional roles and responsibilities for technology vendor management.
- Recruit and manage personnel assigned to the VMO.
- Conduct and maintain training and performance evaluation materials for resources assigned to the VMO.
- Foster a culture of success through performance targets, one on ones, a clear engagement strategy and regular performance reviews, ensuring that you have the right person in the right role based on his or her skills and competencies.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.