Reporting directly to the Director, Public Policy, the Manger, Public Policy will oversee a team of policy professionals with the designed goal of enhancing internal and external policy knowledge by identifying and responding to policy issues and the development of favorable policy environments and the response to immediate policy matters. The Manager will work to enhance the current policy analysis operation of the Public Policy department by coordinating efforts across the entire AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies, including with corporate shared services and individual lines of business Additionally, the Manager will be responsible for developing strategies to position ACFC as an industry thought leader on innovative health care policy solutions through a strategic, multi-pronged approach. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- The Manager, Public Policy will oversee the monitoring of federal [or state] regulatory transmissions including those of CMS (or HHS more broadly), the Federal Register [state bulletins], as well as track federal [or state] legislation and monitor congressional [state] hearings.
- The Manager, Public Policy will oversee the proactive evaluation of Federal [state] and industry policy environment/activities on a continuous basis for their potential impact on the Family of Companies. The Manager, Public Policy will identify issues in which the Family of Companies has an interest and may wish to take a position on and/or appropriate action towards. Duties associated with this task include:
- Develop, recommend and contribute to thought leadership activities and competitive differentiation strategies.
- Engage external stakeholders such as elected or government officials as a subject matter expert as assigned.
- Monitoring of and participation in policy-influencing advisory committees, trade associations and affinity groups including participation in assigned workgroups.
- The Manager, Public Policy will oversee workgroups composed of public policy staff and internal stakeholders in the development of corporate positions on proposed legislation, waivers and regulation [with specific attention paid to government process].
- Enhance the coordination of information sharing throughout the organization and lead policy-driven projects.
- Maintain and improve systematic communication with other departments about ongoing policy concerns and opportunities.
- Contribute and develop content to internally-distributed newsletter entitled the Capital Report and its live webinar counterpart.
- The Manager, Public Policy is responsible for assuring that matters of Public Policy are considered in the development of the following at the plan or enterprise levels:
- Strategic and Innovative management including Next Generation Model of Care
- Enterprise Risk management
- Communications Strategy
- Regulatory Change and Compliance Management
- The Manager, Public Policy will assure the maintenance of nationally-reflective database of state waiver and legislative activity and package this information for executive consumption.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Master’s Degree or JD preferred.
- 3 to 5 years managing teams and projects.
- 5 to 10 years professional work experience in regulatory and/or legislative policy and processes, preferably in a Medicaid/Medicare/managed health care or legislative/administrative government setting.
- Understanding of health care operations, the public health/safety net community of providers and insurers with focus on those funded by the DHHS/CMS.
- Relationships with federal agencies and national associations as key stakeholders to ACFC interests.
- Ability to navigate governmental resources to find information quickly and accurately.
- Ability to thrive in a complex and fast-paced corporate environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing and coordinating all policy resources (both internal and external).
- Effective communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills to address and lead large groups.
- Strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to clearly communicate needed changes to appropriate parties.
- Will be required to travel to meet these responsibilities.
- Possesses ability to analyze and interpret policy, ability to identify relevance and potential to the AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies.