Exciting Public Relations Manager opportunity at a top executive search and consulting firm in New York City or Chicago! Great location, fantastic work environment with collaborative team, excellent benefits and growth opportunities.
As a member of the global marketing team, the role will work closely with business leaders and key stakeholders on strategic public relations programs. Reporting to the VP, Corporate Communications, the Manager will help drive innovative external and internal communications, focusing primarily on media relations, while also providing support for social media programs and internal communications, to build the firm’s reputation with the media, investors, current and prospective clients and employees.
Primary responsibility for U.S. and Americas media relations:
- Develop story angles for media pitches and press releases connected directly to strategic focal points identified by business partners and VP, Corporate Communications.
- Maintain a cadence of news releases and story placements to maximize positive exposure and strengthen the firm’s thought leadership and positioning among key audiences.
- Respond promptly to media inquiries, evaluating proper responses, developing messages and prepping appropriate spokesperson.
- Manage PR agency resources based in New York.
- Liaise with the firm’s senior leaders/spokespeople, including providing media training/preparation for interviews and developing briefing materials.
- Foster strong relationships with key journalists/editors and help establish the firm as a go-to source for media seeking experts and insights on talent, leadership and human capital solutions across every business sector.
- Coordinate Public Relations activities globally
- Keep forward-looking editorial calendar and share news release ideas regularly with regional and agency counter-parts to encourage full information sharing and minimize surprises.
- Maintain consistency and quality globally in external communications, including press releases, while providing flexibility for local market PR activities to target in-region media outlets with appropriate tone and color.
- Collaborate with regional and agency counter-parts, facilitating best-practice sharing and maintaining consistency and uniformity for global style guidelines.
- Keep regional and agency counter-parts well apprised of our key messages and sensitivities; ensure our key messages are being clearly and consistently conveyed in press releases and by our spokespeople.
- Develop and manage external speaking engagements and mutually beneficial sponsorships on behalf of our Americas-based consultants and firm leaders.
- Seek, identify, and propose prominent, strategically aligned speaking opportunities for practice leaders and consultants.
- Qualify potential speaking engagement for our consultants.
- Serve as advisor to consultants in shaping message and content for maximum impact and memorability.
- Lead and manage media relations in conjunction with these speaking events.
- Maintain a dashboard to track key media metrics and share of voice within our competitive set—globally and regionally, for all business media and for our “Top 50” target media. Generate a consistent monthly report with trailing 12-month trend and year-over-year comparisons.
- Support the development and execution of innovative social media programs to build the digital brand.
- Support the implementation of employee communications programs, including delivering creative and engaging communications via new intranet and other channels (e.g., town halls, conferences, etc.), to support employee engagement and alignment, employee retention, and employer-of-choice positioning.
- Liaise with Corporate Communications team globally and work collaboratively on global media initiatives.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required – Communications, Journalism or Business preferred.
- Minimum of six years in media relations, preferably in a PR agency or professional services industry, or experience working within a similar, complex and matrixed business to business environment. Global experience preferred.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-performing, and client-focused environment.
- Strong comfort level with shifting priorities.
- Able to multi-task and prioritize a diverse range of different projects concurrently.
- Track record of executing well-planned campaigns, often under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Media and Social Media savvy, fully conversant with both traditional and digital media.
- Experience of working with senior management and diverse stakeholders and serving as a consultant/advisor in analyzing client needs; setting and managing expectations and influencing decisions.
- Proven experience in providing highest levels of client service internally or externally.
- Persuasive communicator capable of building trust and establishing strong professional relationships firm-wide.
- Previous success in developing and/or standardizing processes, with a focus on the client experience.
- Detail-orientated with an enquiring mind and analytical approach.
- Dedication to teamwork and collaboration with experience in coaching and developing others.