Flight operations at Calspan consist of a large portfolio of engineering, flight, and research activities. Headquartered in Niagara Falls, New York, Calspan’s Flight Research center is home to a fleet of aircraft that include Learjets, Gulfstream III, and a Premier. These aircraft are used for variable stability programs, flight equipment testing, and a variety of other projects for private and government organizations. We are proud of our 70+ year history of flight controls, flying qualities, and engineering research, and our continued commitment to our customers.
Manager, Software Engineering is responsible for software development in support of research, design, test and interface design of equipment and systems, and to investigate, evaluate and develop new applications.
Manage with the intent to motivate, train and develop. Manage administrative responsibilities(scheduling, timekeeping, budgeting). Provide timely, constructive feedback regarding work and performance. Manage non-performing employees in accordance with company policy. Manage high potential employees to career succession and growth opportunities.
Oversee execution of testing operations in an accurate and efficient manner. Define project requirements, including deliverables and constraints, designing and developing a solution and conducting necessary activities to confirm and validate solution.
Develop new applications and test procedures; ensure conformity to standards, procedures, and regulatory requirements; and that they are under configuration control. Identify new technologies for implementation.
Direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation.
Provide technical guidance to personnel involved in developing design approaches and executing test procedures. Support day-to-day operations by directing pre-test and test software efforts.
Preferred Education / Experience:
- Bachelors in Engineering/Computer Science or related discipline
- 7+ years in software devlopment or related discipline
- Previous experience in management position or;
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to above
Preferred Knowledge / Ability:
- Computer Science/Software engineering methods
- Software development processes including configuration management
- Act as project manager; develop and present proposals
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and manage abstract and concrete variables
- Embedded Linux SW development
- Linux device drivers development
- Interfacing analog/digital/serial/avionics busses I/O hardware at register level
- Git SCM
- GNU toolchain
- Qt graphical applications
- C development, C++ development
- Structured SCM and SQA environments
- Network programming
Remote candidates (living outside of Western NY), who are able to travel as needed, will be considered.
Benefits Package: Our goal is to provide Calspan employees and their families with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. Our benefits include: Health Insurance, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance/Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short-Term/Long-Term Disability, 401(k) company match on first 4%, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Hospital Indemnity Insurance, Universal Life Insurance Policy, Paid-Time Off, Company-paid Holidays, Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty, Military Leave, Employee Assistance Program and Educational Assistance Reimbursement.
Calspan is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Calspan supports safe and drug free workplace through pre-employment background checks and drug testing.