BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities with world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more. With an annual operating budget of approximately $50 million —the majority dedicated directly or indirectly to programming—BAM is a leading presenter of emerging and contemporary artists.
BAM’s General Management, Event and Venue Operations department, is looking for a Manager, Special Projects to manage large scale rentals, festivals and events. The Manager, Special Projects will also play a key role in establishing new rental business and coordinating various rental and internal BAM events. This role is the central point of contact between event stakeholders and BAM’s internal departments, from initial inquiry stage through budgeting, contracting, logistical coordination, day-of oversight and financial closeout, to ensure event success.These efforts shall include cultivating relationships with current clients, as well as sales outreach to potential high-level clients through cold calling, networking and driving venue promo initiatives.
- Manage rentals including especially large-scale projects (past examples: Jimmy Kimmel Live in Brooklyn or our 19 performance Madonna residency with Live Nation.) as well as campus wide BAM programs such as the DanceAfrica Festival, and various one-off Bookings and events, to ensure full execution of event and client satisfaction. Event management shall be inclusive of budgeting, payment tracking, contract drafting and execution, event logistics and oversight, and financial closeout.
- Work closely with BAM staff members, external partners and rental clients to ensure successful execution of each event or program, building relationships and encouraging continued collaboration in the future.
- Manage special projects and conduct research as assigned by the Director of Event and Venue Operations and Vice President and General Manager
- Support Director of Event and Venue Operations in maintaining and overseeing Annual Rentals and Bookings calendar and tracking documents
- Develop and streamline organizational systems to increase productivity regarding revenue potential.
Rentals and BAM Bookings
- Respond to rental inquiries and meet with clients and booking partners to showcase venues for events and maintain client services throughout the event process.
- Support efforts to grow Bookings model and initiate new events and partnerships with the goal of increasing revenue, growing BAM audience with content that is aligned (to an appropriate degree) to BAM programming.
- Ensure BAM’s institutional calendar and GM tracking documents accurately reflect events past, present and future.
- Manage budgets, contracts and logistics for assigned events such as mainstage performances or talks, film premieres and screenings, receptions, conferences etc.
- Provide on-site management and oversight of events.
- Interface with GM staff, Finance, Production, Theater Management, Security, Facilities, Marketing, Publicity, in house caterer Great Performances, Ticket Services and Box Office, and other departments as needed to ensure smooth execution of events.
- Participate in weekly check-in meetings to communicate information, generate feedback and present ideas for improving the operational functioning of assigned projects.
- Compile tracking reports showing rental activity, income, etc. as requested.
BAM Events and Projects
- Manage all aspects, improve procedures and provide on-site coverage when needed for assigned projects including:
- BAM R&B Festival at Metrotech
- BAM Gala
- Produced projects
- Additional projects as assigned
- Manage and administer contracts and payment to artists, making sure artists agree to and abide by BAM house policy.
- Develop and manage the budget for each assigned project. Collect, track, and maintain all expenses. Interface with Finance department as needed to execute payments and project closeouts.
- Conduct meetings as necessary to interface with internal BAM departments to ensure smooth execution of events.
- On site management on day of event and in advance for tech and rehearsals when needed.
- Assist in coordinating all arrangements with BAM Staff, artists, guest speakers, and audience.
- Compile reports and information as needed to distribute to BAM staff.
- Ensure that ArtsVision matches updated performance schedules and oversee the main calendar to field any conflicts in the Opera House, Harvey Theater, BAM Rose Cinemas and Lepercq Space.
- The role requires efficient management of many moving parts and personnel as well as strong communication and problem-solving skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Ideal candidate will also have a strong aptitude for sales and client outreach, implementing initiatives and establishing client relationships to maximize rental income in support of achieving the yearly venue income goal.
- Ideal candidate would have 5+ years' experience with large scale projects and managing budgets of $1mm or higher
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office Suite and Google Drive.
- Skilled Experience in writing, interpreting and managing contracts.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to interact with multiple internal and external parties.
- Ideal candidate will be creative and possess knowledge of current performing arts environment as well as knowledge of BAM’s programming and mission.
- Must be willing to work evening and weekend hours as required.
- Some theatrical producing experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle many different projects simultaneously.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Salesmanship: confident and approachable in meeting new people and networking.
- Creative problem-solver and self-motivated go-getter.
- Patience, flexibility and a sense of humor.
- Manages time and pressure well in a fast-paced environment with strong instincts and good judgment.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Brooklyn Academy of Music is currently undergoing an anti-oppression process, which was first initiated in 2017 and formally launched in 2018. This has included a series of trainings (offered in 2018-2019 for all current employees) about systemic oppression and how it manifests in our workplace. In conjunction with these trainings, employees have formed affinity spaces and working groups to study power and privilege, organize and create solidarity, and make proposals to leadership with the intent of creating an anti-racist, anti-oppressive office culture and implementing more equitable policies and structures within the institution. BAM has also set equity, diversity, and inclusion goals as part of New York City’s Create NYC plan with benchmarks to be reached by 2025; these goals were finalized in 2019, and include improving organization-wide communication and transparency, prioritizing equity through policies and practices, and taking steps so that employees from underrepresented or marginalized communities feel secure and recognized, among other initiatives. The Event and Venue Operations department supports and continues to take part in this process.