Responsible for the inspection, installation, repair, preventive maintenance and troubleshooting of large newspaper press, packaging and other related production equipment
- Ensure operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by: Completing preventive maintenance requirements on motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines; following diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer's instructions, and engineering specifications; troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Locate sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments, and examining form and texture of parts.
- Remove defective parts by dismantling devices; using hoists, mules, cranes, and hand and power tools.
- Determine changes in dimensional requirements of parts by inspecting used parts; using rules, calipers, micrometers, and other measuring instruments.
- Adjust functional parts of devices and control instruments by using hand tools, levels, and straightedges.
- Fabricate repair parts by using machine shop instrumentation and equipment.
- Maintain equipment and parts by checking stock to determine inventory supply; anticipating needed equipment, and parts; requesting and reserving ordered parts; verifying receipt.
- Maintain continuity among work teams by documenting and reporting irregularities on equipment.
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains an adequate supply of personal tools.
- Abide by company policies, including personnel, labor and safety policies.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must have completed a 4-year apprenticeship program or 3 to 5 years of equivalent Journeyman Machinist work experience in a newspaper or production environment.
- Must have strong mechanical aptitude and be skilled in the use of shop tools such as drill presses, lathes, mills and grinders.
- Expertise in the maintenance and repair in an offset or commercial printing facility preferred.
- Ability to read, understand and use complex industrial mechanical schematics, blueprints and equipment manuals.
- Must be expert in the use of precision measuring tools such as micrometers, calipers, dial indicators and thickness gauges.
- Must possess precision equipment assembly and adjustment skills.
- Must have basic knowledge of Pneumatic and hydraulics.
- Must be able to read blue prints and manuals for diagnostics and repair.
- Must be available to accept work assignments to any shift, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
- Requires excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with production personnel.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to at least 50 pounds.