Who we are
Who we are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of White Knight Two carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is seeking an experienced and inspired Manufacturing Build Manager to take charge of developing and maintaining the manufacturing build plan for multiple program(s). This role will take on the responsibility of managing the product build sequence through thorough communication amongst the engineering departments and the supplementing manufacturing departments. These efforts will lead the direction for developing and implementing MBOM structure for a clear plan of action for the program build execution. This individual will also work with upper management to coordinate efforts regarding scheduling and budget.
- Reports to upper management with program status and risk assessment metrics to support short term and long term goals
- Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining a manufacturing build plan for the program
- Provides a clear plan of action for the program build goals to the production team
- Coordinates efforts amongst the engineering and manufacturing departments to develop MBOM structure to ensure a smooth and efficient transition to the production team
- Works with the Program Manager to deliver project on time and on budget
- Provides conflict resolution to schedule setbacks by developing and implementing recovery plans with engineering and manufacturing
- Coordinates efforts between all manufacturing and engineering functions to properly support the build schedule by means of identifying tooling, materials, resources, planning, and product definition to ensure a seamless transition from paper to reality
- Works with production control to assure assembly flow is properly supported by all functions to deliver material and hardware on schedule
What you bring
- 10+ years of experience with product assembly build structure and integration concepts and practices
- 5+ years of demonstrated leadership experience with production, assembly and systems integration teams, at least 3 of which were in a managerial role
- Strong understanding of engineering and manufacturing support role functions to allow for resolute work output extraction at maximum efficiency
- Excellent knowledge of component assembly, both subassembly and final top level assembly
- Extensive experience and/or training in lean manufacturing principals and leading or participating in process improvement workshops or kaizen events
- Strong understanding of schedule, quality and budget relationship
- Working knowledge of configuration management practices and quality management processes
- Experience with manufacturing based ERP systems a plus
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the proven ability to lead, motivate and build teams
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills, combined with a strong commercial acumen to measure the potential impact of each decision
- Excellent organizational skills, easily capable of effectively juggling and completing multiple tasks at the same time and thrives under pressure
- Highly autonomous with effective delegation skills
- Extreme attention to detail and continual pursuit of perfection
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.