The Manufacturing Design Engineer is responsible for the development and qualification of
custom made-to-spec components at our suppliers across the eero product line. Their role starts from Prototype (DFM) and spans the product development process through mass production. A broad scope of manufacturability experience and supplier management is required. Knowledge should span numerous aspects of fabrication, manufacturing, process control, product configuration, new process qualification, 2nd operations to include injection
molding, heat-staking, die casting, stamped sheet-metals, form-in-place, adhesives, etc.
What you’ll do:
- Own new product Introduction (NPI) of made-to-spec components at suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Work alongside the Product Design Team to be the voice of manufacturability for mechanical parts identifying possible manufacturing challenges by providing DFX for CAD designs prior to engaging potential suppliers
- Lead suppliers in the construction of mass production tooling through DFM analysis, tooling architecture reviews, specification definition, iteration and approval
- Drive technical deep-dives with in-region and supplier-based teammates running experiments to acquire data that specifically addresses observed production problems
- Use data to drive decision making and down-selection of components, processes, and materials
- Notify the CM and NPI PM early about production issues and lead problem-solving efforts to fix issues
- Have a discerning eye for process improvements and anticipating and diagnosing bottlenecks in production
- Evaluate technical trade-offs of different processes and collaborate with stakeholders to down select based on cost, quality, and performance
- Analyze DFM and provide constructive feedback to achieve the goals of eero, recognizing the capabilities of the process
- Drive jigs and assembly fixture designs with vendors, CM, and in-region teams considering cycle time, process constraints and component alignment
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Strong knowledge of plastic part design process, plastic injection molding tooling, design constraints, optimization, tooling, and qualification.
- Experience in 3D cad software a plus (Soldiworks or NX)
- Experience with fixture design and automated assembly methods.
- Ability to clearly communicate with internal and external partners.
- Demonstrated experience with Final Assembly and Test; SMT and RF experience is a plus.
- Experience in applying manufacturing principles (5S, 5M+E, Kaizen, SMED, OEE)
- Ability to travel domestically and overseas to APAC region