COI Ceramics (COIC), a part of Northrop Grumman's Space Components Business Unit, leads the industry in the development, fabrication and production of High Temperature Ceramic Matrix Composite Components and test articles. COIC is currently hiring a 1st shift Manufacturing Technician 3 in our San Diego, CA location.
(Wet Layup/Tooling Technician)
Successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Use of vacuum bagging processes.
- Lay-up of composite structures
- Handling and managing fragile composite materials.
- Report data and interface with other employees and departments
- Tooling preparation and release application.
- Loading autoclave cure vessels. (Max 150 psi)
- Loading operating oven(s).
- Loading operating high temperature furnaces
- Utilize measurement tools such as calipers, rulers, and tape measures for fabricating hardware.
- Assist in maintaining overall shop appearance and cleanliness.
- Assisting in equipment checks and troubleshooting
- Assisting in specialized testing as needed
- Assisting in process development for new products, material systems, tooling approaches and fabrication processes
- Assisting in communications with other organizations and customers
Basic qualifications include:
AA or equivalent 2 year technical degree required plus min 3 years composites manufacturing experience required; ceramic composites materials industry experience preferred.
Fabrication experience with composite layup tooling.
Demonstrated mechanical ability.
Initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence.
Able to read, write and work to written instructions in English
Demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize, adhere to written procedures.
Proficient use of basic shop arithmetic.
Working knowledge and experience with ISO requirements, standards, and compliance issues .
Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Lean Continuous Improvement and 5S Principles.
Standard computer literacy skills in Microsoft Office: Word and Excel.
Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
Demonstrated strong skills in operating in a quick paced team environment.
Ability to work under limited supervision and with general guidance on new assignments.
Ability to adhere to written procedures.
Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 pounds.
Ability to be on feet for up to 8+ hours each day.
Ability to work overtime and weekends as needed.
Ability to obtain a DOD Security Clearance, which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite.
Must be flexible to work 2nd Shift as needed
Additional experience a plus:
Knowledge and experience with equipment maintenance, particularly ovens and furnaces
Currently hold a DOD Security Clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.