HMC Architects designs solutions that work, wow, and withstand. We partner with healthcare, education, and civic clients to design buildings that promote healing, inspire learning, and create vibrant communities. Whether it’s a hospital, elementary school, student union, or community center, our empowered teams are experts when it comes to delivering successful projects and creating meaningful spaces.
HMC is in search of an experienced Marketing Manager to augment our team in any of our seven office locations (Los Angeles, Ontario, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, or San Jose).
***Writing samples and portfolio will be required when applying for this position.
Leads the development of architectural pursuits, marketing communications, and business development efforts to further market-specific and firm goals. Requires thorough knowledge of professional services marketing methods and techniques as well as the ability to lead the marketing and technical team in the develop compelling and winning pursuits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, or Architecture or other applicable degree program is required
- Prefer 5+ years in a marketing role an architecture, engineering or construction company
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator); working knowledge of database programs such as Deltek Vision and Axomic OpenAsset is preferable
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, Detail oriented with excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills
- Experience and ability to tailor writing content based on the project type, message and intended target audience
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with both peers and senior members of the firm
- Experience working independently, as well as within cross-functional teams in a collaborative, professional environment ? A self-starting and results-oriented outlook
- A detailed knowledge of marketing procedures, work processes, and tools, along with evidence of past successful management of marketing projects and teams
- A thorough understanding of effective document and presentation production, and an in-depth understanding of proposal and presentation psychology and how to convey messages, themes, discriminators, and responses to evaluation criteria clearly and effectively
- Experience managing teams of people (including non-direct reports) with demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, and provide constructive criticism in a team setting and one-on-one
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision, meeting deadlines and working well under pressure, while maintaining a high level of accuracy, meticulous attention to detail and follow-through
- Proactive-can-do attitude and initiative to collaborate with office staff
- A collaborative and team-oriented disposition; a sense of humor and grace under pressure; persistent, tactful, and enthusiastic
- Sound professional judgment, strong work ethic, positive and client-focused attitude.
- Able to travel to other HMC offices and/or client project locations as needed.
- An interest in design and the built environment and how it shapes community
- An eye for great design and the ability to create a compelling story. Strong graphic design orientation and ability to use photography and visuals
- The ability to think creatively and strategically. Develop creative ideas as well as listen and build on the ideas of others in the firm. Flexibility and a creative approach to problem solving are essential
Proposal and Pursuit Presentations (60%):
- Help develop a win-strategy for each pursuit
- Support those with marketing assignments to prepare for meetings, interviews, and other contacts with prospective clients
- Be a talented writer and storyteller with the ability to gather complex or technical information from various sources, to synthesize it, and to use it as the basis to craft cohesive and compelling narratives.
- Share a love for content marketing and a passion for developing fresh and creative approaches to conveying information
- Coordinate the preparation of statements of interest and qualifications, proposals, SF330 forms, collateral materials, miscellaneous marketing, and marketing-oriented correspondence, etc
- Participate in pre-interview planning and presentation rehearsal with design teams and help develop and apply the established win strategy, themes, and discriminators in presentation materials.
- Work closely with Director of Marketing, Graphic Designers, and PICs to write compelling narratives, tailoring information to intended audience
- Develop project stories and client testimonials content for marketing material
- Work with Marketing Director and project leadership to develop message and content for proposals and interview material
- Lead/Coach proposal and interview efforts
Marketing Department Management and Strategy (20%):
- Make work assignments and follow-up to ensure tasks and projects are completed to the highest standards of quality, timeliness, and cost-effectiveness
- Work closely with leadership to determine strategies on proposals and presentations; hands-on planning and development of strategic customized responses to RFPs and in the interview preparation.
- Conduct research and compile information regarding existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to aid in the development of marketing plans, proposals, and presentations.
- Develop and maintain network of industry contacts, i.e., consultants, contractors, architectural colleagues, clients; cultivate leads and gather intelligence through network.
- Explore ways to streamline workflow and use of technology without compromising quality.
- Develops strategy for key client targets in conjunction with Director of Marketing, Business Development Leader, and PICs
Marketing Organization and Support (10%):
- Prepares reports summarizing practice initiatives and intel
- Centralize information about the business development activities of the local office and those of a firm-wide nature that are orchestrated through that office, including such things as leads, contacts, and schedules of business development events.
- See that information is shared in a timely way among team members; manage timely decisions and actions in business development pursuits.
- Has quality review responsibility of all pursuit-related resources (including proposals, brochures, and presentations)
- Manage Deltek database entry of marketers and support staff
- Write and update collateral materials for project descriptions, proposals, presentations, as needed
Marketing Promotions (5%):
- Participate in HMC social media activities
- Develop communications calendar with ideas for internal communications: project news, employee promotions, thought leadership, conferences. Write and assist with developing message and content
- Champion social media efforts across multiple platforms and website
- Supports thought leadership initiatives
- Supports PR efforts for firm (news releases, video production, industry surveys, awards)
- Organizes and facilitates leadership team meetings
- Assist and coordinate special events/conference material/collateral material (ground breakings/dedications.)
- Supports in-house event activities (logistics, content development, attendee participation, production/dissemination of deliverables)
- Coordinate conference attendance and sponsorship
Professional and Community Involvement (5%):
- Actively involved in professional marketing/communications organizations
- Monitors industry trends and collects market intelligence on clients and competitors
- Attend industry and client events as needed
- Assist and mentor other pursuit specialists and marketing coordinators
- May participate in coordination of photo shoots with project team
- Assist Business Development efforts with competitor analysis, client strategy, conducting web research, etc.
- Research leads generated from business development efforts
- Research local market to monitor economics and identify key people, trends and project opportunities
- Provide support and excellent client service to other areas of the company and all marketing staff