Who we are
Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first publicly funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer-term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Virgin Galactic (VG) and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic (VG) www.VirginGalactic.com is seeking an experienced Material Manager to provide leadership for the inventory, warehouse, shipping, and receiving processes associated with the Spaceport. This person will take an ownership stake in addressing issues/opportunities with material resource management and availability, total cost of ownership, warehouse logistics, and overall material flow processes. They will be instrumental in developing an overarching material management strategy for the Spaceport and developing a framework that would easily scale to other sites. This person will possess strong analytical, organizational, facilitation, and communication skills. They will have demonstrated the ability to collaborate effectively within a group or team environment. This critical role will need the ability to establish and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization required to positively impact the material management and operational functions for Spaceport America and all future locations. As a member of the supply chain team, this person will contribute to both the short and long-range growth and profitability of the organization. The ideal candidate has a strong background within the aerospace industry.
- Providing leadership for inventory control, warehouse, shipping, and receiving disciplines and integrating them into our ERP system – Ultramain.
- Determine optimal incoming/outgoing material flow processes with the Spaceport for spares, GSE, tooling, consumables, and other associated operational supplies.
- Incorporate lean principals to develop inventory management strategies and classifications for operations. Work with customers and category managers to identify appropriate inventory levels. Design optimal storage locations and warehousing strategies to support.
- Develop E&O processes including reporting and disposition.
- Lead the development of physical inventory and/or cycle counting processes.
- Shipping and Receiving - Develop and implement strategy for both incoming and outgoing shipments including HAZMAT, emergency, and other unique requirements.
- Responsibility for local MSDS requirements.
- Responsible for the proper execution, accuracy and support of material inventory flow and maintenance within the ERP system.
- Team with customers and category managers to provide optimal servicing levels for various categories.
- Optimize material flow and customer readiness.
- Minimize total cost of ownership.
- Develop metrics, reports, and measurements to continually improve material processes and procedures.
- Develop and present business cases for value-add endeavours (e.g. RFID, VMI, Kanban, etc.):
- Support the implementation and continual enhancements associated with Ultramain ERP and the integration with Oracle EBS ERP and Agile PLM system.
- Budgeting, strategic planning, and other financial reporting requirements and associated support.
*Virgin Galactic retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position
What you bring
- A minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience in a leadership position as a Material Manager in a high-tech manufacturing or operational environment.
- Bachelor's of Science in Material Management, Logistics, or similar college degree. Master’s degree is a big plus.
- CPIM, PMP, and/or CSPM certification is a positive along with strong analytical & aerospace knowledge.
- Excellent knowledge of Oracle EBS and ideally Ultramain MRO maintenance software. Other MRP system experience would be beneficial.
- Very good experience in developing cost models and presenting business cases.
- Strong knowledge of office software skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Can understand and support the team’s strategies in spares, GSE, operations, and hospitality among other categories.
- Knowledge of various procurement practices.
- Demonstrates a proven record of exceeding customer expectations.
- Experience from a start-up environment is highly preferred. A wide degree of creativity is expected.
- Understanding of import/export processes including ITAR.
- All candidates must be US Persons due to the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
- Practical approach/ leads by example. Happy to be hands-on and work closely with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of various material management methods, TCO, and supply chain practices.
- Beneficial to have prior demonstrated supervisory, management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills (team, management, and suppliers).
- Organized, detail-oriented, and structured approach.
- Incredible energy and passion with a resourceful attitude.
- Self-motivated, enjoys work independently.
- Ability to react to change and thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Flexible and adaptable.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen., lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.