JOB SUMMARY: The MDS/Care Plan Coordinator is an experienced health care provider who ensures an accurate assessment and up-to-date care plan for all residents and that all records pertaining to resident care are consistent with the plan of care and are descriptive of the care rendered. The CPC communicates the condition of the resident to the family, coordinates the completion of all Comprehensive Resident Assessments and reports to the Administrator.
- A current State of Illinois license as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English in an understandable manner.
- AANAC certification preferred.
- Must be physically and mentally capable of performing routine job duties.
- Must have working knowledge of nursing services, nursing administration,
rehabilitation, general nursing, geriatric nursing, the MDS, and it’s computer
- Must have good managerial, organizational, planning, computer, and interpersonal
- Ability to initiate, complete and update care plans.
- Ability to conduct in-service training of nursing staff on care plans, documentation, and EMR application.
- Ability to monitor resident EMR records for consistency and content.
- Ability to identify problems and to communicate those problems to the Director of Nursing and staff concerned.
- Be personable with residents, families, and staff in a professional and cooperative manner.
- Must have compassion, tolerance, and understanding for the elderly.
- Knowledge of JCAHO, OBRA, IDPH, and HFS standards and methods of documentation in accordance with those standards.
- Support the facility's philosophy of care and strive to achieve its goals and objectives.
- Coordinate the completion of the MDS upon:
- a) initial admission
- b) readmission
- c) quarterly
- d) annually
- e) the occurrence of a significant change
- f) and as needed for PPS/Insurance Reimbursement
- Provide calendar monthly and as needed of scheduled MDS assessments and Care
- Assure the timely completion of each section of the MDS by proper department,
signing of the form by staff on EMR, and its resident appropriateness.
- Confer with each department regarding any problems that occur in its sections
of the MDS and arrange for re-education when necessary
- Review diagnosis coding and sequencing with physician quarterly. Update/
clarify ICD-9 coding as appropriate.
- Conduct weekly MDS Pre-planning and Medicare meetings to ensure timely and
- Monitor and assist staff in all departments regarding EMR charting, documentation
and achieving Care Plan goals in accordance with the resident’s MDS.
- Communicate resident care plan and progress to staff, resident and family.
- Conduct in-service training of nursing staff every three months as needed on care plans and documentation.
- Audit sample EMR charting monthly to ascertain proper nursing charting and
documentation of care given and directly confer with those employees who are
not properly documenting.
- Record, report and follow up discrepancies in documentation which are not consistent and/or do not meet program standards.
- Work closely with the Director of Nursing and other department heads to ensure consistency in care.
- Coordinate resident Care Plan with physical, occupational, respiratory, and speech
therapy department to ensure proper care and treatment when clinically
- Follow up on nutritional assessments by the dietary consultants with reporting to the nursing staff and appropriate documentation.
- Maintain the confidentiality of resident information and honor his/her personal and property rights.
- Follow established fire, disaster, safety, infection control and evacuation policies and procedures
Job Type: Full-time