Meat Cutters are responsible for assisting with the managing of department inventory, in-stock levels, pricing integrity, merchandising, and other operational processes to company standards. They must follow the company sales and production planning standards. They will assist in planning, ordering, preparing cutting lists, and processing meat according to the production tools and standards to maximize sales and gross profit. Meat Cutters will assist with the training of new department associates and will ensure correct cutting methods, ordering, receiving, unloading, storage, and rotation of merchandise and displays. Meat Cutters will also ensure a high level of customer engagement and satisfaction at all times by answering customer questions regarding services and products offered.
- Assists with managing all functions and activities of the Meat/Seafood Department. Helps to manage labor costs and reduce losses due to shrink, damage and pilferage.
- Assists with the training and development of all Meat Cutters and Meat/Seafood Clerks.
- Handling and cutting a variety of the department’s specialty meats and seafood throughout the day per customer requests and to maintain quality product levels all while ensuring outstanding customer service at the counter.
- Demonstrate the ability to be organized, to work independently and with the team to provide the highest quality shopping experience, all while assisting to maintain the overall appearance of the department; ensuring cases are well-merchandised and properly signed to ensure the highest quality products and supplies are available to complete tasks efficiently. Follow approved procedures for receiving, weighing, and breaking down meat and seafood products.
- Assisting in managing the inventory and ordering; enforces and follows department practices regarding the cutting procedures, receiving, stocking and unloading of product to ensure freshness and quality. Unloading and breaking down deliveries as needed; stocking cases and coolers with products; Maintain proper product assortment, merchandising and product quality on the sales floor and following rotation standards when filling items are running below acceptable levels.
- Physically making meat and seafood items according to TFM written recipes and processes for preparing, assembling, and mixing fresh ingredients. Preparation includes a variety of steps that may include: marinating, seasoning, cutting or grinding beef, poultry, lamb, steak, pork and seafood, chopping, slicing, and mixing meats, produce, and other food products together as indicated within TFM recipes.
- Monitors temperature of cases, shelves and storage areas and reports any failures to the Department Manager. Follows maintenance and sanitation procedures established by TFM for coolers and freezers; reports problems to Department Manager.
- Quality and safety duties include cutting, receiving, inspecting and storing products to ensure quality, following proper cleaning and sanitation procedures, operating equipment in a safe and focused manner while tracking date and rotation of products and completing any necessary reports. Prep area cleaning includes taking apart, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all equipment, prep-tables, pans, and utensils, and washing floors, walls, coolers, and storage racks. Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Observe all store rules and Company policies, shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by Store Manager. Must wear approved hat or hair net, beard guard, non-slip shoes and cutting glove.
- Maintains knowledge of weekly ad items; gives customers direction of product location throughout the store.
- Maintains excellent communication within the department at all times.
- Assists with on-the-job training efforts in the department.
- Addressing and greeting customers; answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product/ service recommendations and accommodating special requests
- Responsible for the finical success and overall success of the department
- Ensuring the retention of employees and minimizing labor costs
- Demonstrating the necessary leadership skills
- Being able to listen to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring practices are strictly adhered to
- Prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines is a must
- Utilize training resources and fellow team members to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics
- Have knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide and assist customers in finding complete meal solutions
- Oral and written communication skills that allow for productive communication with co-workers, management and customers
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have at least 2 years of experience cutting meat.
- Must be able to successfully pass TFM Meat Cutter Certification test.
What you bring to the job:
- Organization and highly detailed oriented
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to follow through on deliverables and meet objectives and deadlines
A LOVE of food
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Superior customer focus
- Be a team player, goal-oriented
- Excellent time management
- Ability to perform in an intense, fast paced environment
Work Environment/Physical Responsibilities
- Work involves continuous interaction with customers and co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, bending and reaching
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 10-40 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 70 pounds occasionally
- Exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
- The safe and proper handling of slicers, knives and other kitchen utensils and equipment
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break for up to 4 hours
At The Fresh Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. The Fresh Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled. The position covered by this is expressly declared to be 'at will,' meaning the Company has the right to terminate the incumbent's employment at any time, with or without cause. Any written or oral promises or representations to the contrary are expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any employee. Any change to this 'at will' employment status must be in writing and signed by the company designated personnel.