Job Title: Meat and Seafood Clerk (Job Code 1201)
Department: Meat and Seafood (Dept. Number 700)
Reports to: Meat and Seafood Manager
Position Summary: The Meat and Seafood Clerk is responsible for upholding Earth Fare’s Vision, Mission, Declaration and Customer Service Creed, while adhering to the departments Standard Operating Procedures. They work independently and in a team to ensure the Meat and Seafood Department is well stocked, clean, organized, rotated, and merchandised appropriately. They deliver exceptional customer service while being a valuable asset of product knowledge within the department.
- Adheres to the Earth Fare vision, standard operating procedures and merchandising guidelines, with a strong emphasis on customer service, safety and sanitation. Maintains a positive and professional work environment. Explain to customer how EF products are different from conventional.
- Operational Tasks: Preparation of specialty merchandise e.g., sausage, ready to cook products, and cured meats. Follow established Weights and Measures procedures (TARES). Maintain overall appearance of and replenish ice in display case. Utilize proper rotation in case. Set and maintain meat and seafood case and display. Package, weigh, and price merchandise. Comply with all applicable Health and Safety Codes. Catalogs and codes invoices, maintains department stock levels, and provides excellent product knowledge and service to customers. Verifies proper signage and pricing of items in the department. Assists Meat and Seafood Manager with inventory counts. Attends department and store meetings.
- Merchandising: Maintains an attractive sales floor by implementing Earth Fare merchandising guidelines as outlined by the Meat and Seafood Manager.
- Department Conditions: Maintains cleanliness, sanitation, and overall organization of the department including all fixtures, storage, work stations, freezers, and coolers.
Knowledge and Essential Critical Skills/Expertise
- Must demonstrate excellent customer service to customers and Team Members at all times.
- Basic knowledge of meat cuts and cooking techniques.
- Must be able to work independently and within a team setting.
- Must be organized and pay close attention to detail.
- Must be able to multi-task and assist customers while completing necessary duties within the department.
- Must be able to read and follow both written and verbal instruction from the Meat and Seafood Manager and other store management.
- Must demonstrate manual dexterity with potentially hazardous equipment (knives, miscellaneous utensils, etc.)
- Ability to learn and use a Falcon hand-held computer scanner and food scale.
- Desire to learn to cut meat into sub primals.
- Demonstrated ability in knife handling, other cutting equipment and safety procedures.
- Skilled in cutting whole chicken into standard parts; and simple cuts for other meats
- Knowledge of living conditions of animals and ability to educate the public on these issues.
- Ability to explain various cooking techniques.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule to include nights, weekends and holidays. Flexibility to support sister stores in the same region when business needs arise.
- Must attend work on a regular and predictable basis.
- Must complete assigned tasks in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Must uphold Company policies, including the anti-harassment program.
- Must work in a cooperative manner with managers, supervisors, coworkers, customers and the public.
- Must uphold the highest standard of integrity, honesty and ethical behavior.
- Must work effectively and efficiently under stressful conditions.
- Must be able to work varying shifts, including overtime.
- Experience working in a retail and/or customer service oriented environment preferred.
- Earth Fare experience preferred.
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through levels of education and experience, however, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience, which provide an applicant with the listed knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job, is acceptable.
- Works in a fast-paced environment with a focus on customer service.
- May work in environments of extreme cold.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. (In the event an item weighs over 50 pounds the Team Member should have another member of the team help lift the item).
- Must be able to bend, reach, stoop, kneel and squat.
- Must be able to push, pull, and maneuver heavy loads.
- Must be able to stand and be on one’s feet the majority of the work day.
ADA: Earth Fare will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
EEO: Earth Fare does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.