Summary of Functions:
Incumbents are responsible for the performance of skilled mechanical tasks in the minor repair and maintenance of heavy machineries used in construction projects and other similar activities. They are trained to work safely and assure that they can protect themselves from injury. Supervision is exercised over equipment mechanics of lower classification. This is a non-exempt level position
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
May or may not include:
- Must accurately complete necessary inspections, PM services, minor repairs and adjustments as well as annual inspections.
- Complete tests of functions and safety devices.
- Use parts manuals to obtain parts and order parts.
- May be required to change out forks or attachments.
- May have to run pressure washers to clean equipment.
- May have to drive machines on public roadways.
- May have to run an occasional service call
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis
The Class "C" forklift mechanic is responsible for properly and thoroughly inspecting and servicing units returned from rental. This includes: using computer for opening/closing work orders & Service maintenance forms.
This position reports to and is in constant communication with their Service Manager, and in some locations a shop supervisor. On occasion it will be necessary to contact the Branch Operations Manager. Fairly often there will be contact with co-workers of multiple departments.
- Must be able to read English.
- Must be able to safely operate various types of high reach equipment including forklifts, scissor lifts, boom lifts (we will train)
- Must be able to wear safety fall protection
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be able to work basic computer functions.
- Must have basic hand tools
- Must have Steel Toe Work boots.
- Must be able to maintain a safe, reasonably clean and organized work environment.
- Valid Driver's license and clean driving record is preferred.
The following is the minimum tool requirement for class C mechanics:
- SAE wrench set 3/8â€?to 1â€?
- Metric wrench set 8mm to 19mm
- Complete set of screwdrivers
- 40 piece socket set-metric and standard
- Spark plug sockets: 5/8â€? 3/4â€?& 13/16â€?
- 8â€?adjustable wrench
- Ball peen hammer
- Tape measure
- Pliers: regular, slip joint & needle nose
- Vice grips-at least one pair
- Diagonal pliers (dikes)
- Strap oil filter wrench
- Basic Allen wrench set-metric and SAE
- Tool box with lock
- Spark tester
- Spark plug gapping tool
- Test light
- Grease Gun
- Battery terminal puller
- Digital Volt meter
- Rolling Creeper
- Work Boots â€“ Must be steel toe
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, or crawl. The employee is required to repeatedly stand, bend, lie down & kneel repeatedly walk, sit, talk, write and hear.
The employee must frequently lift, push, pull, and/or move weights varying between 25 - 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions. The employee is required to wear protective gear when exposed fumes, grease, oils, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Mechanics typically work in repair shops or in outside work areas depending on the size of the facility. The work shops are well lighted and ventilated. An employee of this position may be exposed to poor weather conditions, including extreme heat. They may also work in cramped or awkward positions to reach a machine's engine.
Mechanics are exposed in hazardous work environment, must be able to be outside in the elements anywhere from 50% to 95% of shift, depending on the size of the location.